Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Revenge of the central valley.

What a week at work it has been. I will not get into that yet. Saturday I came home for the school benefit auction and had a great time. The wine bar and hors d'oeuvres were great, and so was the auction. We got a few handmade scarves that are great, but I think we have missed the three days a year they can be used out here and we will have to wait till next year to use them.



Good times

So this is what California looks like now. After one week of hot temperatures the grass has turned golden brown and will stay that way for about the next 9 months. This is a big drawback of CA. I like looking at the green hills, but when you only get about 12" of rain a year I guess something has to suffer.

Last week I 76.5 hrs in 7days and let me tell you it was not all fun and games. I was working most of the time down in Merced which..well..is unable to be described in words here. The words I would use to describe the system down there are banned from the internet and have only been uttered in the most extreme situations. I guess if you can't read the hazard label...there is no hazard?.?. FYI, Don't put your bare hand into this tank because a day later your skill will get very dry and start to fall off (don't ask me how I know that).


When pumps break you have to transfer acid in 5gal buckets...which is not fun but if you have the proper PPE it can be done. Notice the corrosive nature of the acid eating away at the floor. Good times. FYI don't get this on you boots because in the not so distant future the leather will fall apart rather quickly...don't ask me how I know that either.

I guess I should stop knocking the central valley because what comes around...goes around.

Another FYI. If you are ever in Merced you should look up the bar Carolyn's. It serves no food, no mixed drinks... just beer. You can order pizza and have it delivered just say Carolyn's, and everyone will know where it is. It is the best dive bar in the city and it is a now on my must see list of Central Valley tourist destinations.

Kevin...high school was great even if I didn't club baby seals or ride polar bears like you did...dumb canadians.

5 comments:

bje said...

At least it looks like Summer-time somewhere. Surely, not here in South Dakota!

Laura E said...

I could use one of those hand-made scarves! Send it my way, and I'll mail it back to you in December '08.

Lyndsay said...

School Auction...always a good time. Too bad big Ed isn't around anymore to buy you guys stuff. And as far as your work in Merced..nasty! When are you guys coming to Riptown again?

Homeward Bound said...

When are you guys coming to Colorado?! That's my question. Europe?! Pshhhhhh! What is THAT? Actually, it is pretty funny to see people smoking crack in the middle of the day in Amsterdam. Hahaha Those Dutchies...moderation never really was our strong-suit. Certainly is beautiful over there though. I will be waiting with bated breath to read blogs on that trip! lol

So, John, are my eyes fooling me or is the acid literally digging a hole in the concrete below those pipes? That can't be good! How come the most boring place on the face of the earth (besides Carolyn's) be such a toxic waste hotspot? Oh wait...I just answered my own question.

I hear ya on the dryness factor. Denver is pretty much a desert on top of a mountain. There is a small (manmade) body of water for every 50 square miles probably. I get shocked every time I get out of the car.

I want to hear some of these stories about how your 'skill' gets hard and falls off and how your leather boots melt!

Unknown said...

I meant to say skin...My "skill" is ok and functioning properly