Friday, April 11, 2008

I know that I have not written lately, but my rents and sister were out here last week and I worked out of town all week so boo hoo you didn't get a post last week. I was working in Merced yet again, but I am working on installing piping for an injection system we have planned out there. It is getting warm there, but I was glad it was not summer. Installing piping is very labor and time consuming and I have over 60hrs of work in five days to prove it( and some scrapes and bruises).



My cousin got married last weekend and we went out there (Handford CA) and had a great time. Weddings are always fun and receptions are even better.



The wife and I.
This is my cousins little boy Dameon. He was very cool and I think he enjoyed us strangers (this was the first time we met him).
Reanna (De Haan) Bergman also recently had a child and since this is her neck of the woods she was at the wedding and it was cool to see her little boy Hudson.



So the other day I happened upon a rattlesnake and decided to kill it. After cutting the head off I waited a while (~2hrs) to butcher it. When I went to skin it the body was still moving all over the place and after I gutted it and skinned it the flesh was still moving around and it was very weird. So now I have this sweet snake skin that Is drying and waiting for the perfect place in our house...or the garage more likely.
I hope to find a bigger snake in the future. I sure you am wondering what I did with the flesh..I did not eat it yet. I have given it to a woman I work with and she is going to make some snake chili when she gets a few more.


10 comments:

Lyndsay said...

So we were bummed we couldnt be great hosts when you were out for the wedding. But I'm so glad you could still enjoy our futon and our sweet shower.

Ummm the snake...a little weird. I'm thinking the garage is a great place for it. Just where did you "happen upon a snake?"

Anonymous said...

Nice Snake skin. Brenda should let you have it in the house since she was raise with one in the family room her whole life. Don't have it to close to the deer head as it might spook it.

Schenky said...

I just don't feel right telling you you have a nice snake John.

Oh heck...nice snake John.

Save me some chili. I'm sure Flo will put together a mighty mean chili. Church potluck anyone?

The cervesa in the fridge was for you! Are you too good for my beer?!? John and beer are like CRC folk and hymnals...they can't live or function without each other. I'll save a few for you next time as long as I get some of that rattlin' chili.

I'm @ Mt. Hermon this week. Call me on the cell and stop by if you want.

Unknown said...

I think Michelle is going up there with the kids from the school as well. Are you free for wed. night about 4:45 for sailing?

Laura E said...

I enjoyed many conversations with your wifey this week while you were gone, so I hardly even noticed you weren't blogging! :) The snake...gross. And a pinned up snakeskin is just as gross. Not sure where you'd hang something like that...So how big is this snake? You said you wanted to find a bigger one, but this one looks rather large.

bje said...

Mmmm! Rattlesnake chili! Sounds delicious!

Okay...so, I'm also curious to know more about how you came across and captured this critter.

Also, what's this snake comment about Brenda being "raise with one in the family room her whole life?" I don't get it?

Schenky said...

Even though it may not appear so, I still do have to supervise children while up there. Ignore the tennis, rock wall climbing, napping, and pool time and I still do have to work very, very hard.

I don't think I can swing the sailing time. I think it falls between a full-court basketball game with high school kids and a 1500 calorie meal. Sorry.

Unknown said...

Brenda is actually cool with the snake because there is one in her basement.

Wow kevin I can't believe you get paid for that.

Homeward Bound said...

Great post, John! Don't think that I am a hater when I ask for more posts...my life is just THAT lame! jk

I especially love the comments though...especially Lyndsay throwin' out the smack talk on you and Schenky tossing out the usual sexual innuendoes! Ahahaha Love it.

That church looks familiar...where were you again?! jk I have counted the panes of glass in the "Good Shepherd" mural many times while I was "listening" to the sermon.

I honestly think that there is PLENTY of space for the snake to hang right next to Howard. What do you think about that John? Sort of like and ode to the manliness of the house and how animals are no match for mankind? Hmmm...I doubt Brenda would allow this, however, I better see it there the next time I come. Hahaha Serious.

I also have another comment that should not be public and I will post it on Brenda's facebook and she can relay it to you.

Have a good week and KEEP blogging!!!!

Anonymous said...

To explain the comment that Brenda had a snake in her basement...it was not live, it was a snake skin displayed neatly in a shadow box. My mom was kind enough to let my dad hang it in the family room with his other manly pictures and artifacts. I won't be so generous as my mom was...this puppy will be displayed in the garage next to the shooting target and the chuck box. I am proud that John caught it at work when he chopped its head off. I am glad it was morning when snakey wasn't active and John was wearing snake chaps. John failed to mention that it was still moving after he skinned and gutted it. Muscle twitching. Needless to say, I knew it would be something I really wouldn't like, when he called and said in a sarcastic tone, "Brenda, I have a really nice present for you, that you will REALLY like!"