Sunday, April 20, 2008

Boat Show

So yesterday Brenda agreed to visit the strictly sail pacific coast boat show in Oakland. This is a great show where all the major boat makers are there and with a paid admission you get to go on any and all of the boats in the whole place. It was paradise for a guy like me and... Brenda actally had a great time as well. We went on a lot of boats checking out headroom and sleeping berths so we can make an informed decision on purchasing a new boat. No not really. We are not going to get a boat. I fear if I did I would have to also look for a new wife. Brenda was a great sport and let me buy a new lifejacket for sailing and that will have to do for now.
We really like the Hunter line of sailboats.
Wow look at the lines on that one...mmmm.
Brenda liked to make herself comfortable and I thought she looked great in this one. It is a bit out of our price range, but it is beautiful and life is to short to sail an ugly boat.
I must now be refered to as Captain...Captain John.
The galley on one of these awesome yachts is just big enough...actually it is bigger than our kitchen in our first apartment so it looked big enough for us..

Eventually we decided on the Hunter 31 as the boat we would most likely be able to afford and would fit into our lifestyle. I know it is a pipe dream, but the DeJongs are not just dreamers, but we are doers.

5 comments:

Laura E said...

I'm not surprised Brenda allowed you a new life jacket. It's all about safety. Hmmm..Captain John...nah. I wouldn't know a sailing boat from a fishing boat, so I don't have a clue how nice a Hunter 31 is, but I'd love to have a ride whenever that dream becomes a reality...since you are a doer.

Anonymous said...

I'd rather be sailing than doing a lot of other things but alas you do have to have a Job or JOBS because boats are a bigger money pit than houses. But dreams are always sweet to have and sometimes they do come true. Here is the start of a poem I memorized long ago
Keep your dreams they're richer far
Than all the facts discovered are
Keep your dreams for in them lies
joy denied to men grown wise
thats all I remember
Mom

Anonymous said...

We talked about a second home for a lot of years, and I had a dream that it would be by the ocean. Yes, dreams can come true! Deb VE

Homeward Bound said...

Ah yes...a yacht would be nice to have. But so would having money to eatmare than crackers the rest of your life! Ahahaha jk Those floating homes are pretty amazing. Maybe eating crackers wouldn't so bad if I could sail the world on that!

I didn't know how much room was under the deck! If you and Brenda can stand up normally in the kitchen then any normal people could put a trampoline in there! Haha Again...I kid.

You mom could have been bigger than Shakespere...that's all I'm sayin.

Schenky said...

John, do you still remember when your mom used to recite poetry to you while sitting on her lap? I have to agree with Rit, she's got the "poetic touch"! I'm sure you probably remember a lot of gems while curled up on her lap. High school must have been great.