Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Strait and skiing

This past weekend we went to the big city of Fresno for the legendary George Strait. He was awesome and we had such a great time. There were a wide range of people at the concert from old to not as old (there was not a lot of young people at this concert). There is not much more to say about the concert, except it was awesome.

Brenda and I enjoying the nosebleed seats.
Our view.
The next day I thought that since we were only a hour away from Kings Canyon National Park we should go and get some crosscountry skiing in. We rented skis at the store and then went out on thee trails. I do not think that there can be a better way to spend a Saturday or $22 then a day out in the woods. The ski rental was very cheap and we had such a great day to go skiing.
The trail.
The view from the top was great.
View again.
Very deep snow made for a good time.

On another note the election in CA had about 4 props on the ballot for expanding the Indian gaming in the state. Of course there were tons of comercials that wre trying to sway us one way or another. The state workers are all for it (they would get a cut of the profits though taxes) and there were some against it. The arguments for the measures are so lame that the people making the arguments must think we are robotic idiots that can't think for ourselves. Sure the state would get a lot of tax money, but there are externalities that are not accounted for. The state has to pay for gambling addiction helplines, foster homes for kids from families that break up due to gambling addiction, prison for those who steal to feed there addiction, and mant many others that I dare not go into it here. I guess I have been going on a rant at the end of all of my recent posts, but read at you own risk (you may actually learn something) has been my motto.

6 comments:

bje said...

I'll bet that Ol' George was great! Brenda, I like the cowboy hat. You both look like you must have fit right in at the concert.

The cross-country skiing looks like a great time. Beautiful scenery up there in the mountains. I think the last time I x-country skiied was whey I was still in high school. Back then I was pretty fit, but that skiing was still a real lung-burner...What a workout!

Oh yeah, great videos! I almost felt like I was at the concert and skiing with you out in the mountains.

Schenky said...

Judging by your breathing John, you're in excellent shape to be doing a little cross country skiing. Unless you had Brenda on your back, you have no reason to be breathing that hard.

Many of my Central Valley peeps were at that concert. I was too busy pimping my "small truck", talking about almonds with local farmers, and dreaming about the "good ol' days" when we only had one stop light in town to attend the concert.

Not that you city slickers would know anything about that.

EJ keeps asking when those guns are coming to town. Too many cats and dogs running around. I told him to be patient...all the good things in life are worth waiting for.

Homeward Bound said...

I must say that Kev is turning into quite the wise father figure. "Just wait son, the guns are coming and it will be worth it." Sounds like good advice to me! I can't wait to see how that boy turns out with the likes of John and Kev in his life (with a little Lyndsay and Brenda thrown in for good measure)...He will have to beat off the ladies with a STICK! Then he'll be perfectly set up for Uncle Joel's advice, "Ethan...they may be pretty, but don't EVER trust them." He'll be set.

(Side note)

Dear John,

Do you love me? Do you want to be my friend?
(Check yes or No)

______ YES ______ NO

(Knowing John, he would probably cross out love and put hate and then check yes! Hahaha)

You guys went to George Strait! That is SO awesome! Strait = MAN I would love to see the legend before he turns 80 next month (seriously looks 30 still) He has so many good songs! I was cracking up when Brenda said that Amy asked who that was?! Pure Amy. Love her but What?! "Have you heard of Texas?" Ahahaha Classic.

I also love that you guys went X Country skiing...you guys do so much fun stuff (or maybe it just seem like it because it always shows up on the blog and I comment on it, living vicariously through you?) Either way, it may not seem like it but the X Ski is where it's at! (And quite draining I might add...best exercise you can get behind swimming and jumprope) You should lay off the cigs for a spell though, John.

Well, that is about all I have to say. I am beginning to love the blog more because of the crescendo at the end! Don't get me started on the politics though, Johnny! We live in the most Godless countries in the world...we kill 4,000 babies a DAY (that's more lives than blacks that our country lynched in 87 years of slavery) and we (even Christians) are all excited about a candidate that more than likely will increase that number and constantly throws out ambiguous propaganda about CHANGE but can never specifically explain it? Sweet.

Nice to know that in the end God laughs. God laughs at those that who really care/worry about who the next president will be. His purposes will prevail. Every knee will bow, every tongue will confess. That's it.

Lyndsay said...

I think you three boys, John, Joel and Kev, should start your own blog together where you can solve the worlds problems for all of us to read. I would be like a conversation b/t the three of you on the web...just a thought.

Looks like you guys had a great time skiing and at the concert. I think downhill seems easier to me!

Laura E said...

I had no doubt that the GS concert would be great. I can imagine Brenda hollering down to him all sorts of things like, "Nice T.A.J's!" The scenery at the end of your hike is amazing. Wow!

a & m kamper said...

The pics are beautiful, sounds like you guys had a great time!! It was great to hear you talking to me tonight while I was on the phone with Brenda, John. You make me laugh. We are psyched to hang out with you both this weekend!! And yes John I updated our blog last Wednesday, enjoy. :)