Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Not much


Here is a picture of the pumpkin I just carved last night. It is lit by a candle.

And here is a better picture of the whole pumpkin.

It seems as thought there is not much going on around here, but I guess there still is. Brenda is back in school and it is in full swing. That helps us get into a routine and keeps our weekends fairly “normal” and relaxing (instead of long trips cramming in the fun, we get to relax). Friday we went over to our Dave and Becky’s house to play games and make homemade pizza. We do not hang out with Dave and Becky very much, but enjoy it every time we do.

Saturday we went on our churches 17th annual bike hike from south San Jose to Morgan Hill. It is 17 miles long and all different ages participated (a kid about 7years old biked the entire way along with a guy about 60…impressive). At the end there is a great BBQ and potluck(as all church functions have). Only one kid got lost and was found by strangers along the trail, but he was returned without major incident. That night Brenda and I went out to eat at El Pollo Loco (a fast food place that seems to be healthier than most (this is not the reason for our restaurant choice, but the coupons we had were the major factor in our food choice…I don’t care what I eat as long as it is cheap). Then we went to the Nordstrom Rack (an outlet type store). They are the only store that I have found I can count on having my size shoes in stock and easily visible on the shelve. normally when you ask if they have any sz15 shoes after they have stopped laughing they go in the back and bring out the two ugliest pairs of shoes they have (one of them is always a old man Velcro strap type). They also have a lot of sz17 and we even saw a sz20(I think if you have shoes that big you just special order them because I have never heard of anyone carrying those in stock).

Sunday we had a few new teachers over and another girl new to the area from church for games and food. Event though some were from Calvin instead of Dordt they turned out to be nice and we will probably have them over again.

I am sitting right now doing “shore watch” at work. This is a dumb Chevron this that makes someone watch others do work and make sure that they are safe on the water. I am hoping only to have to do it for an hour or so because it is very boring and even an idiot can do it. There is security guards around here as well and one not far from me. He sits in one spot all day for 10hours and does absolutely nothing…well I guess that is not true. He get out of his truck, looks at himself in the reflection of the truck, and practices his tae-kwan-do/ judo/karate_____ (fill in the blank with any other weird martial are you can think of). The people I know in martial arts are all relatively normal, but there are so many more that seem to be a bit off.



Sailing last Wednesday



Very nice night. I am hoping for a repeat this Wednesday.

Joel. I do read all of the responses multiple time during the normal day. I would like you email address if possible.

10 comments:

bje said...

I never knew that you were so "crafty"! Nice work, but isn't Halloween like four weeks away still?

Anonymous said...

Ya, I know. I was just following orders...wait...I meant to say advice not orders.

Lyndsay said...

Nice pumpkin, I'm envious of your great carving talent. Really it turned out cool. Fun times watching the karate kid, you didnt get out and join him? Ethan is excited to come and ransack your house, actually, he'll probably spend most of his time on your stairs. We're excited to catch up with you guys again!

Anonymous said...

I did not think Brenda Lynn let you use knives. Great work. jke

Laura E said...

Nice pumpkin, John! I'm impressed! Your sailing pictures are so cool. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the pumpkin, John. Still the cowboy dream lives on.
Mom

Anonymous said...

John:

Nice article this week. It is good to see what is going on with you and Brenda. Looked for Brenda's mom at the convention. No luck. Maybe you have another vocation. Pumpkin carving. Unfortuately you may only have about a one month window to work.
Clavin is not all bad boy. Your dad graduated from there.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Dad
I can tell calvin is substandard because it cannot even teach its students to spell it correctly. Just kidding. Love you dad

Anonymous said...

Hummmm, Brenda's mom said she saw John's Dad at the convention. I wonder who is seeing things or not seeing things........jke

Homeward Bound said...

That pumpkin is seriously amazing. How the heck did you do that?! Hahaha How long did it take? I wish I was that cool. Although it's all for what must be the STUPIDEST holiday of the year. I am pretty sure Bosses Day is cooler and no one even knows / cares about that one! Seriously, if it were erased what would we miss? A few toothaches, people making idiots of themselves and a feeble attempt at trying to scare people?

WHATEV.

I resent the Calvin statement but I still love you.

jriete21@hotmail.com

Rit

P.S. - I could totally see you rockin' the sz20 valcros, just for the record!

P.S.S. - Hiked Longs two weekends ago. It's awesome. You have to do it.