Monday, October 8, 2007

Bluegrass and...mmmmm...other grass

Friday, the Schenks came to visit us and the Webb’s came over for some food and fun. Of course Ethan is very smart and he can walk about 9 steps before eating it and getting back up for more of the same. Brenda is hoping that we can have a kid that is such good mannered (that is when we decide to have kids).


Ethan and I

The cute kid.

On Saturday Kevin and I went Folfing (frisbee golfing) We had a great time and were given directions to a new course that is even better than the one we go to usually. We let a couple of guys go in front of us on the first tee because they looked like they really knew what they were doing. We passed them up on the fourth tee because they had to stop to smoke a bowl (of the illegal variety of course) before moving on. On the next hole it overlooks a vacant parking lot and the hole is on the other side. The parking area is out of bounds and you have to hug the edge to get to the hole. They sure thought it was funny when we were overlooking the parking lot and they yelled that the parking lot was out of bounds. I didn’t get the joke, but I bet I would have if I was smoking what they were.
Before the fling of the frisbee. Kevin has a wicked hook.
Kevin at hole 1.

We then went to a school fundraiser where I schooled Brenda in the obstacle course. She began taking on the kids and found a way to cheat. She is usually upstanding and fair in everything, but after racing the third kid she must have been tired and did not want to loose so she took a shortcut (and of course I pointed it out).




The challenge.Brenda tdelling me to "bring it on".
That night we went to a Canadian Thanksgiving celebration of one of our elders and a few of his friends (about 15-20 of them). We had a great time and left before the Canadiens started taking in French (about 40% of the attendees were Canadians).

Picture from camera phone that didn't turn out to great, but look at all of the desserts.


Sunday after church we went to San Francisco (referred to from now on as the "city"). There was a free bluegrass festival in the park this weekend as well as fleet week. The festival was great and we got to see great music and a whole lot of weird people. It was like something out of deep space nine some of the characters up there. Fleet week is when the military(navy) comes into the bay. The Blue Angels were in town (even though the a hole in government in the city tried to get the banned for so called "safety reasons"). When they flew over the concert many of the concert attendees gave them a one finger salute (those who do that should go on the front line and should be shot). As we found our seats Karen (the pregnant preachers wife) sat down and not five min. later the guy next to her lit a fag (the non-sexual kind) and proceeded to get high. Karen did her best to stay out of the smoke, but it was a frivolous effort because over half of the people there were smoking weed. It was a little weird to see Emmylou Harris singing great songs about the saving grace of Jesus and people getting high and expressing themselves freely. What a weird city. Emmylou was great and we all had a good time.



Emmylou onstage

Brad, Karen, and me of course.
A guy in a hat offering a toke to his friend. Golden Gate park is more of a weed hangout than a park.
Look at this guys boots. not the wieerdest person, but my camera could only click so fast.




Karen and Brenda.

Here is a nice video of the concert and people dancing to Emmylou. Very good time.


7 comments:

bje said...

California is such a progressive state. It's good to see so many people living the "high life". Seriously people!

Okay, so I'm kidding about California being a progressive state. I just don't think that you would see people smoking a joint in the middle of a big public event here in South Dakota. I must just be hanging out with the wrong/right crowd.

Anonymous said...

Man, you guys went to Hardly Strictly? I would have loved to drag Jen to that show, but Jen's family was in from out of town this weekend so we were busy. Sounds kinda crazy. Maybe next year.

Lyndsay said...

Hey John, again, it was a great weekend and it sounds like the fun continued long after we were gone:) Gotta love the city! So thanks to your deer head, my son is afraid to go up my parents stairs by himself...he thinks there is a deer up there!

Laura E said...

There seems to be a lot of weed smoking around there. I've only been around weed smoking once, and I must admit, I stared. I don't think I'd know what to do in your 'hood. That concert seems pretty sweet, but again, I'd be slightly distracted by the wierdos and joint smokers.

Aubrey said...

Wow, you guys certainly stay busy out there. I must say I am a little envious of the weather. It's starting to get to the "just had a sex-change" cold.

Not quite. But close. I love San Fran. It would have been awesome hanging out in the park listening to Emmylou!

Laura E said...

Okay, that story about the dude getting run over multiple times on the freeway is horrifying. But what an idiot to think he could catch a ride on the underside of a truck. Moron. Imagine getting home after hitting a chunk of something and finding a nose stuck in your grill? Nasty.

Anonymous said...

Looking at Ethan makes me want to be a grandma again. He is soooo cute. Just got my Grandma fix from Missy. Delaney dressed up in a Green Bay cheerleading outfit. Ask her to send the picture if she hasn't already. Do you have an E-mail address?
MOM