Thursday, April 27, 2017

CA or bust- Spring break 2017

So it was time for spring break and boy did we need it.  This winter has had the most precipitation on record for the inland northwest and I for one was sick of it.  Sure I like the snow and rain, but my jobsite is a mess and trying to burn soils at 900F when it is pissing rain all day every day makes it all the more harder and more expensive.  I needed a break and really wanted to get time to just hang out with the fam.  That meant it was time head south for our bi-annual trip to see friends and family in California.
 
I see a trip to California as severing two purposes.  One is to get out and see some sunshine and enjoy the weather, the other is to remind me why I moved to Washington and make me thankful I don't have to line in California.  I know Cali is great, it has great weather and some good people, but man is it full of crazies, traffic, exorbitant pricing, and of course taxes.  With all the taxes you would expect exceptional government services right...of course not.  But that is the price you pay to live where it has only two seasons instead of four.
Loaded up and ready to go.  We decided on the way down that we would stay the night halfway and it was a good thing. Driving with kids is tough.  I was able to find out I can drive and reach back and grab one by the throat though and that is something new.  And you thought driving while texting was tough, try driving while parenting.
 
we stopped at the Froese's and Brenda's old school to see some friends and the kids had a great time.  The boys love to wear shorts anyway, so California was great for them. 
We had to hit up the Santa Cruz boardwalk for some rides and ice cream.  James tried to get into the Giant Dipper, but got turned back.  Brenda went with Karen later on and said it was a good he got turned away because she would have been freaking out with him on it next to her.  I am sure he also would have hated it, but wanted to see his reaction anyway.
After the beach we were off to the Schenk's.  They have access to a house in Monterey and they were able to get it for the weekend.  It has plenty of room for both of our families and was very fun, plus it was free.  If you know me, that is a price I don't mind paying.
Of course we headed out to the see all of the sites.
We were able to have a kid take a picture of us.  As usual or dads (or at least me), this is about the only picture I am in for the whole vacation. 
The weather on day 1 was so nice we headed off to the beach.  I think it was about 75 and barely any wind.  perfect for catching a few waves.  I brought my wetsuit so I headed out as well and was able to catch a few waves.  I really enjoy the water.
I don't think that Matt had a plan on what we was doing except that he wanted to see what would happen when he poured water into a hole.  Kids need to explore and find things out on their own and it is way more fun that way anyway.
I think he may have been a little cold after running into the 50 degree water.
Photo bombing kiddos in the background and the boys, well, acting like normal.  When you take a picture and tell a kid to act normal...you then remember what normal is, and normal is not really what you wanted.
Sierra also had a great time.  I think we were seeing sand in her diaper for 3 days after the beach, but I have probably said to much about that already.
Hudson and James had a great time out back of the house.  James was not sure how to play Hudson's game and Hudson did not know what game James was trying to play, but they figured it out eventually.
I guess it is a thing to go see this bagpiper play at the golf course, so we did it.  We me up with some of San Jose CRC friends as well.  There is a restaurant there that the corking fee on a bottle of wine is $25.  It is a dream of mine to have enough disposable income that I bring my own wine to that restaurant and pay that fee, and they uncork some 2 buck chuck for me.  I think it would class that place up a bit.
The last day at the house we headed to the tide pools for some fun.  I was a little worried Sierra would forget how to walk since the Schenk kids carried her everywhere, but she remembered and all was well.
Matt showing off his starfish.
James and Brookie also found a few things they were not scarred to touch
Next installment of this will chronicle the trip to the aquarium, central valley, and my Grandma's 90th birthday...and the trip back home.

2 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Love it all! We had so much fun and feel priveledged to be on your "must see" list:)

Andrea VW K. said...

Great pics, beautiful coast line views! It was so great to spend time with all of you again!