Sunday, February 19, 2012

Valentines Dinner

Everyone knows that valentines day is a way to make you spend money.  I head that the average someone spends on a loved one on VDay is like 120 bucks.  Luckily for me, I have set the bar pretty low and now have a wife with realistic expectation.  That being said, my friend Chris thought we should put a dinner together last Sat. to let our wives know we care.  Since I had to work all day Saturday he was in charge of the shopping and then we would make the meal when I got back.
The mood was set and we really were in for a treat.

Always a favorite is scallops.  I have never really made these before and had them turn out good, but Chris had a system and scallops on a bed of leeks with a vinaigrette dressing was absolutely amazing.

Then we brought out the racks of Lamb.  I had never made this either, but found a recipe that I thought would work and it turned out so tender and juicy.  I had lamb one other time in CA and it cost like 40 bucks and I got food poisoning from it so this was a refreshing change.  Although it is a bit pricey to buy yourself, it was well worth it for a special event. 
We also had gorgonzola/pear/candied pecan salad.  Making the candied pecans was not that hard, and the salad was again....very good.

Bacon wrapped asparagus....need I say more.  Oh ya, dessert was Creme Brulee, which Chris did a great job with since it had to be made ahead of time.
This was by far the best meal I had ever had, and I actually made it. I have eaten out  at some nice places with Kobe and lobster and other pricey/delicious foods, but I would choose this meal hands down as the best ever.

This week I was home every night except for Valetines day.
James usually get a bath after dinner, and since I was home this week I got to do the honors.
I think his butt is red from being pinched to many times...it is so cute and I cannot resist.
He has a cold now and is coughing all of the time, but with his 9 month checkup on monday, we have elected to wait till then.  I fugure he will get over it eventually

So Cute.
This past week I got the frame and misc parts ready for paint. It took a few more cans than I thought it would, but I think that the final product is very strong and looks great (see below pics). 
Yes, motorcycle frames can be sexy.

I also got the engine mostly polished up and back together.  Notice the WD40 and the hammer, my two favorate tools.

An this is what the thing looks like currently....yes, sexy again.  I know there are a lot of odds and ends to complete and it will take a lot of time yet, but I was excited all the same to see what it looks like now.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Ummm, are you going to be hiring yourself out as a private chef anytime soon? I'm sure Brenda was thrilled with that dinner!

Anonymous said...

Something tells me those food pics were downloaded from some fancy resturante site and in reality you served up something off the dollar menu from Taco Bell..........

Anonymous said...

What a lot of food!!! You could have fed two more couples with that amount of food. Next time invite us over:) Mom

Lyndsay said...

Yum! Good job John! I'm sure Brenda loved it. You and Kev seem to have the same opinion of V-day. I said Happy Valentine's Day to him and he responded with "Happy Comercial Holiday." What a romantic:)

Andrea VW K. said...

Looks like a lot of fun, always good to take time out and cook for the ones you love! So much more meaningful than going out to eat. We celebrated by going to the Farm Show Ag Expo (largest in the world!) in Tulare, let J climb on lots of tractors and mingle with lots of laid back country Visalia/Tulare folks. Great people watching! Then Myron and I went out.
Did you guys get a sitter for James? I am starting to see more and more resemblance of John in James. Myron does the nightime bathtime routine too, it's great! Hope you all are well, we'll talk soon! Ciao,Andrea

Mateenmaol said...

Something tells me those food pics were downloaded from some fancy resturante site and in reality you served up something off the dollar menu from Taco Bell..........