Sunday, August 9, 2009

Baby shower...no really.

It has been crazy out here and with all of my work and our slowest Internet since dial up, I have not had a chance to upload many pictures until now.

Two weeks ago I got to go to my very first baby shower(my cousins). Many of you may be saying, lucky John...I bet he had fun. Well, I was not a huge fan of the games, but sometimes you got to be a good sport and play along. It really was not that bad, and I did have a great time swimming and chilling with the extended family. It was well worth the trip to Davis and we got to send out cousins off in style (they are moving to England).
Brenda got 3rd in the baby game and she liked her prize.
Brenda with our cousin Cara(she is the one moving). They are both posing with their Diabetes trophies. Brenda got diamonds for keeping her A1C low and Cara got pregnant. I never would have thought that I got a good deal buying diamonds...but considering the alternative.

Matt and Cara and us. We really get along well and have a great time together.
The classic baby clothesline gift (this is now standard for Brenda and usually goes over well).
Jakey loved the ice cream and he also loved to swim(or sink is what he did better).
Last weekend we went on a hike near big sur with the 18-20something group from our church. We went up a river and hung out climbing over all of the rocks. We took the motorcycle down there and it was a perfect day for a ride.
The guys on top of a rock.
Trying to go up the river valley.
Ciki getting some sun on a rock.
So instead of paying $350 for a new backrest on the motorcycle and another $300 to get the seat reupholstered...I thought I would try and do it myself. I got a $20 piece of vinyl and some more foam to fix the seat and it too about 3 hours, but I got it covered and it looks almost as good as new. It is a lot better than paying 300 bones.
For the backrest I got two pieces of angle brackets, and then put a piece of wood between. Then I covered it with foam and vinyl and bam...for $10 I got a backrest. I also thought that I would make a little cargo rack. An old aluminum rectangular sign did the trick and then I mounted a few things on it and drilled a few holes and bam..done. All in all I spent about $40 to save $650+. It may not look expert, but I think it is pretty cool and functional.
Seat looks professional...right?
Here is the cargo rack that I built out of an old aluminum sign I found. It works out pretty well and I hope to try it's functionality soon on a camping trip.
Yet another view.

5 comments:

Laura E said...

Babies or diamonds and you choose diamonds? Typical guy... Nice work on the motorcycle! You do impressive work. Not only can you build things with wood, but you're as crafty as Martha Stewart!

Unknown said...

I am more handy than I am crafty.

Anonymous said...

John, just for the good old days can you jump up on a desk and pretend you are a Velociraptor?

Later...love the posts!

Anonymous said...

I think you are more artsy/girly than handy or crafty.

Can you make me a knitted sweater with a sailboat on it?

Anonymous said...

John:
Sure, you made that cargo rack for your bike out of an old sign you "found". I read you, loud and clear.

Kimble