Sunday, March 23, 2008

Central CA Coastal Cruise

As promised I have prepared a posting that is sure to thrill and excite you...well that may not be entirely true, but we were and that is all that matters. I took Friday off this week and we drove down the California coast on hwy 1 on the motorcycle. I know that in some forgotten parts of this great nation there are some unfortunate persons that have experienced snow, rain, and or sleet in this past week and for that I am truly sorry. Friday it was sunny and 70 so it was great for jumping on the bike and hitting the road. The morning was brisk, but with traffic nearly non-existent and with regular stops for sightseeing and pictures we made it down there (the town of Cambria) in about 5 hours. The town is mainly a tourist destination and we drove around and got to see all of the sights. Dinner was at a nice restaurant that was a little steep for the quality of food, but you can’t complain while on vacation. We stayed at a cool little lodge type place and listened to live music at night and relaxed after a long hard day of vacation.
Brenda posing by the water. She listened to the ipod about the entire trip. I could hear her a couple times singing over the roar of the iron horse. The waters were so many different colors of blue and green.
The black stallion...no not me...the bike.
With gas prices like this I was glad to be driving a bike. I guess this is one of the many prices we pay for not living in the snow and bassakwards weather in various other parts of the country.
California in the spring is green and lush (notice the flowers). Give it about 2months and it will be brown and dry for about the next 7 months.
In the morning we got up and headed out for a tour of the Hearst Castle. Some rich guy built this 80,000sq/ft mansion in the 20's and now the state runs tours through it. It was cool to see, but might be one of those just need to go once type of places. I have a hard time paying to go and see a house that some rich guy built for the heck of it.

The "Neptune pool". This pool was rebuilt three times(it is amazing to me how stupid rich people can be). How do people who waste so much money get so rich while the rest of us frugal persons don't? I guess that is one of those life questions that you never get an answer to.
The view from out hotel...no not really... this is Hearst Castle again.
2000yr old Egyptian artifacts.

The dining room
One of the swimming pools. The yellow is 24k gold flake covered tiles.
At noon we got sandwiches at a convenience store and headed up the coast for a picnic. There are so many great places to stop and have a lunch that it is very hard to choose one, but we finally decided and had a great view. The ride home had a bit more traffic, but it is not as big of a deal on a motorcycle and on a short vacation. We arrived home about 5:30 and had to rest our tired butts.

All in all it was a great time with the bike performing reliably as always and arriving home safe after a motorcycle ride is always a good thing.
Check out the crazy driveway down the front of that hill.
A nice waterfall just off the road.
Typical coastal scene.

7 comments:

Laura E said...

Wow, the pictures are amazing! The water is so many different shades of beautiful blue and green. I can see why the trip was so great with views like that and being on a motorcycle with unlimited sights. Glad to see you both wearing helmets. :) Brenda, I can see why you wanted to jump into those pools. They definately look inviting, especially the neptune pool. We had a good time talking to you last night, and I was asleep about 10 minutes after hanging up the phone. An end to a great weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

I went to the VIPs with Ike and Heide this weekend. Ike said you live a fantasy life. After several months of reading this blog, I tend to agree. I hate you, De Jong.

Unknown said...

VIPS on the weekend sounds like a dream to me. I sure had a lot of good times there and it was never dull (except when they closed at 9:45 on a thursday).

Homeward Bound said...

Those pics make me miss the good ol' Cali-forn-I-A.
I have taken that trip down and up the 1 a couple of times. You really need to be on vacation to do that because of the curves and the RV's driven by old foggies that think the brake is the gas! If you want to get home fast on that highway you can forget it - especially on the weekend. Still, very beautiful.

BTW...you look like a stud with that black-black visor! Hahaha I would not mess you for a second.
(Unless, of coarse, I was a Hell's Angel and you were on my turf or wearing my colors / insignia. Then I would be forced to maim you, no matter who you were.)

I also want to let you know that I was not boycotting your blog simply because you did not put pictures in your last lame blog . . . or was I?! Hmmmm Just kidding. I was in the thick of the semester with mid-terms and such and it was crazy. But now I'm on break and lovin' life. Probably go camping, hiking, boarding and golfing in the rest of the week.

Thanks for the post though...pics are really amazing. Let us know what you do with the rest of your (I mean Brenda's) time off! Tell Brenda to start saving her refund checks for a Harley...she rocks the bike look too!

bje said...

Well, I must say...This is a much better blog entry than you last one! The pics are incredible! The "Black Stallion" comment...I LOLed! That was classic!

Also, it was good talking to you and Brenda the other night. I was looking forward to hearing the "Police Run-In" story. It was pretty good, but I was hoping for even more. You weren't even close to going to jail.

We're looking forward to your next blog entry. I hope that Brenda didn't run up too high of a hotel bill on your company's tab. Although, that would probably make for some pretty good reading.

Later. bje

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a tame weekend for you John. You certainly had a beautiful weekend of weather. The coast was always my favorite place with your Dad. See you soon John and Brenda:)
Mom

Lyndsay said...

Looks like you guys had an awesome time. Beautiful scenery along the way! I'm sure Brenda enjoyed the castle tour:) Just think, 2 years ago we were enjoying our last day in Hawaii....ahhhhh the memories!