Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Family, Family and.....more Family

We spent the last weekend up in Washington for my grandmother in-law’s 90th birthday celebration spectacular. It was a great time seeing my sister and brother in-laws and nieces. We even found out that Paula is going to produce a nephew in May. There were a lot of people in the house so Brenda and I volunteered to sleep in the shed (Jim built a new shop and there is a nice office area where we slept). We volunteered so we could stay onsite and not have to go to a friends house, but also because we wanted to get a good nights sleep and not be woken up by screaming kids.

Brenda and Kevin at the game. The Dekkers are smiling in the background.


Here is Abby. She is a spitter, but I held her alot and had a great time. Only one shirt got totally soaked, but at least she didn't crap on me.
We went to the Sunnyside basketball game on Friday and had a great time. The game was very close and despite the 10 to 4 fouls calls in the second half of the game Sunnyside won. Great game.
We went to a big family get together at a Chinese restaurant in Yakima on Sat. to celebrate Grandma’s birthday and the food was great. There was a flu type bug going around in the house starting on Friday and with two bathrooms and everyone but me and Kevin catching some form of it they were very busy and the family fun times were kept to a minimum. We played as many games as we could. Sat. night we played imaginIF and once the game was done it was evident how Jim felt about the game because he was puking in the sink (I guess he didn’t like it).

Maggies birthday celebration two days before her birthday. Notice the park ranger badge with her name on it. Also notice the spit on Dans soulder (not an uncommon sight).
At the celebration
This is a collage of Brenda grandmother and family. It was very cool to see some of these old pictures.
Brenda and her grandmother.

Oh ya, I got a 8mm Mauser with a 2.5 Lyman Alaskan scope on it from Jim for my hopefully soon to be hunting trip next fall. The rifle is awsome and I will post picture of me shooting it when I go to the range...which will be very soon. Guns are awsome.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

a 8mm Mauser!!!? I'm suffering from some serious gun envy right now. I'll be submitting my app. tonight
-Isaac

bje said...

Sleeping out in the shop sounds like a brilliant idea...especially with the flu-bug going around the Elenbaas household. Good choice.

The old pics of Grandma Elenbaas are pretty cool. I love looking through pics from that period. People from that era sure saw a lot of changes in their life time.

You got a Mauser!? I'm looking forward to hearing more about this. I'm just guessing, it must be a pretty old rifle?

Good post. We'll talk to you later.

Lyndsay said...

Looks like you guys had lots of fun. bummer about the flu...especially w/ how much Brenda likes puking. I can't wait to hear more details. Yeah, for a boy in the Elenbaas family...hopefully no name stealing goes on:)

Laura E said...

A NEPHEW!?! A BOY!?!?! We'll see...

I haven't been back in that gym since like 1999. I'll have to go back sometime. Just seeing the picture sparked some good memories. Like playing my clarinet in the pep band and nailing Mr. LeMehieu in the head with a softball. Good times.

Bummer deal about the flu bug. That sounds horrible, but thankful you didn't get hit.

Looks like Grandma Elenbaas had a wonderful time at her birthday party. She looks so happy! What a special occasion to share with her. Glad you had a good time.

Abby is an incredible spitter! I'm glad you documented it so well, John!

An 8mm Mauser? Wow! Incredible! Cool! I'd like to load that thing and take a couple shots with that thing!

Schenky said...

Bring those guns up to Rip town some time and we'll go take pot shots at unsuspecting domesticated or undomesticated animals.

Sincerely, EJ Schenk

Unknown said...

It is never to young to begin shooting things EJ. I think we should keep these plans to ourselves and please do not ask your mother. She would most definatly not approve.

Homeward Bound said...

Wait...and 8mm Mauser?! That is pretty much the coolest thing I have heard this week!! As far as EJ firing the beast...I definitely approve. And as for the approval of Mrs. Schenk...shoot...she's a crazy gun enthusiast! Her and Heston are pretty much best friends. She'd have EJ crawling through mud and snippin' chipmunks by the end of the day!

Hahaha Just the thought of Lynds in Carharts and gun glasses cracks me up! (Sorry Lynds)

Loved the post, J. Cool to be able to celebrate things like that I think. The elderly folks in our country are so awesome. It's neat to talk to them because they lived in a country that really did honor God and had some patriotism. A far stretch from where we are now with a generation of vidiot ignoramuses.

"She's a spitter." Love it. Does anyone else see a huge dichotomy between what John and Brenda SAY about how much they hate kids and then talk about them ALL the time and post pics on their blog! Ahahaha I'm calling you out John, you softie! The next blog better be all about something manly!! Cold steel, gun powder and talk about Alaskan scopes would do a reader good! That's all I have to say.

Oh yeah, the inclusion of number of bathrooms in proportion to sick people (with the inadvertent sink puke) had me chuckling all day yesterday.

Geez...what can't I just write a short post ever?!

Anonymous said...

Joel, so glad you back on the blog horse again! Your comments are more hilarious than John's blog. You have quite the creative writer wit.

Anonymous said...

EJ's mom isn't the only mother not in favor of guns in the hands of an amateur - who seems too eager to kill poor defenseless animals.
MOM