Sunday, January 13, 2008

Epic

I went skiing this weekend with Kevin Schenk. Yes we have been hanging out with the Schenks a lot lately, but we always have a great time when we are there. Having them 1.5 hrs away has not seemed to restrict the number of times we get to hang out.
We went to the Ripon Christian(RC) homecoming basketball game on Friday and then off to the slopes on Saturday. On the narrow road up to the slopes I was the roads were clear, but there was occasional snow and Ice chunks in the middle of the road. The second that I mentioned it to Kevin there was a shuttle bus coming down the road and slowing down to take the upcoming curve. Right off of the top of the bus a 3’deep 4’x4’ section of snow flew headed for our car. I guess I know now where those Ice chucks were coming from. Our lives flashed before our eyes as the ice block threatened to blow through our windshield and talk our heads clean off of our body. At that exact second I was able to swerve and avoid the killer ice chunk so Kevin and I could live another day.


It is always a good idea to keep hydrated while skiing. Moderation of course.
Kevin exiting the trees right before a big jump.
Kevin out of the trees again
Skiing was a great time. I snowboarded, but just refer to it as skiing because it is easier that way. Kevin and I enjoy going off trail and seeing if we have the skills to avoid the killer trees. We now know that we do not posses the skills, but we needed to find out. The last run of the day we were seeing how fast we could go and make it down. I was behind Kevin as he flew down the slopes and we were passing this snowboarder on the right with plenty of clearance then out of nowhere he went right as fast as he could (it was obvious that he was unskilled and this move was not planned). At that exact time Kevin passed him and his left ski was caught under the bottom of the board sending Kevin airborne for a few second then the skidding down the slope about 75 ft for a complete yard sale. After I stopped laughing I asked Kevin if he was alright. He was very sore, but no broken bones or anything missing. I bet he was a lot sorer than I was today.


This is about the best picture of Kevin I have ever seen. Wow...this guy is my friend...Good times.
The new lodge at Dodge.



The first video is Kevin speeing by me at a crazy pace, and the second is me in the trees having a good time.


6 comments:

Schenky said...

I am having a difficult time typing this comment because of the golf ball sized bump I have on my shoulder from the rookie, dunder-head snowboarder accident.

I am hard pressed to find a better buddy to hit the slopes (and trees) with than good ol' John. John cares so deeply about his friends that he encouraged me to take shots of "Pepsi" before 10:00AM in order to keep me warm. What a guy.

It is going to be tough to head back to work tomorrow when I know that there is still a few square feet of terrain yet unconquered by John the one planker and Kevin the two planker. I guess I'll just have to play the videos over and over again to relive the day. That or throw blocks of ice at my own head.

Lyndsay said...

So great to see the pictures from your day. I know you guys had a great time. Brenda and I are just glad you didnt get killed by the giant ice chunks.

What will we do next weekend w/ you?

bje said...

Pepsi sure works great as "anti-freeze", doesn't it?

Anyways...Looks like you are having a lot of fun as ussual. I would love to go skiing with you someday. What ski resort is this? How close to Ripon and San Jose?

I went skiing with Laura's brother at White Pass, when we were back in Washington. I posted some pics and videos on Facebook. Check them out if you can.

Have a great time in Washington with all the Elenbaas's this coming weekend. Don't play too many games of Settlers. I'll be looking forward to your next blog!

Homeward Bound said...

I finally got my password changed! I forgot I had an account with gmail! Freakin' idiot.

Even so, I want you all to know that I have been reading every post but just not posting any comments. (I feel like such a user for that..oh well) I know John, that you still hate (love) me though, so I'm cool with it.

I do not feel the need to go back and make useless comments about the past posts because who would care? However, something needs to be said about this past post.

1. I wish I was on this trip...obviously...drinking copious amounts of Pepsi with you guys (wait, is that tape on the photo? I don't get it.) and holding our lives in our hands as we scream through the woods with not even the option of slowing down.

2. I would have paid a large sum of money to see Kevin get taken out by an oblivious snowboarder on the last run of the day. In fact, just thinking about that makes me smile :-) Not because of Kev's misfortune but because it's funny to see someone that's good go down...anytime, anywhere. Plus, the fact that it was the last run and Kevin's intense need for speed adds to the drama. I love it.

3. This may be unrelated, but at some point my girl and I need to bust in with some good times on the fivesome that is kevbrenethlydsjo Van De Jongenschenker for some good times at the mansion by the course in Monterey as well! What the heck?! Kev, seriously...another round at Spanish Bay?! You dog. Awesome.

Love you guys. Talk to you soon! Hope the break was amazing for you all!

Homeward Bound said...

P.S. - I may just be dumb but I can't see Kevin in any of the trees photos?! Is he is camouflage or something? lol

I thought the same was true of the video until he blows by at mach 3. Again...sweetness.

Laura E said...

Sounds like the ski trip was amazing, although the harrowing tale of the ice chunk flying off the tour van scares the living daylights out of me. Thank goodness for those cat-like reflexes you have! Hope you're having a marvelous time in WA!!