Monday, November 19, 2007

Contrast of life

The contrast of my life is between work and home. I am getting more and more stressed at work with the project I am working on and the completion date arriving within the next three weeks. There is a lot of records keeping and organization that I am not used to. Conversely I had a very relaxing weekend in Monterey not doing a bit of work (although I did think about it). Kevin and Lindsay Schenks parents recently acquired a house on 17mile drive and it is wonderful. Kevin, Lindsay, and Ethan met us down there on Friday for the weekend. We got there late, but in time for pizza and a few brewhaha’s (perfect timing if you ask me). In the morning we walked to the shore (only a hop skip and …jump not needed). The waves were huge and Kevin and I brought Ethan down to the water to check out the tide pools and smack giant pieces of kelp on the rocks (man stuff). The girls sat back on the rocks and marveled at our manliness (or made fun of us and wondered what wee were doing). In the afternoon we went to Point Lobos state park and went for a hike. It was perfect weather there with intermittent clouds and ~65F. We had a great dinner and dessert. Brenda must have liked the fresh baked apple pie because she literally ate ¼ of the pie and two scoops of ice cream(and this after chowing down on tri-tip). What a truly amazing woman I am married to.

The Refinery is not always a bad place to work. All the pollution in the Bay Area makes for some great sunrises.

Very nice picture at Point Lobos
Nicer picture? Brenda is a 35 and I am a 30 on the sleep number bed. You can see that I have mine set for 100. This is a feeble attempt to keep Brenda off of my side so I can get some sleep for once.
Nice morning walk
The view form the kitchen of the 17th tee and fairway is very nice.
Man...is that a cute kid... Ethan not Kevin
Doing Man stuff.
I think Ethan must have learned this from his mother? Just kidding Lindsay....Kevin told me to do it.


What does this look like to you. A contest will be held on the comment section. Most original answer gets

Lone Cypress
I am not drunk even though it might appear so.
Quite the pair.


Sunday instead of church our congregation decided to worship by serving others. We combined with another church to work at various service projects in the San Jose area. We worked on cleaning up garbage in the Guadalupe River. It was fun and we got to clean up a large section of the river. There are a large number of homeless camps down there that people use intermittently and some permanently. We met one guy who had a pretty sweet setup and he gave us a tour of the camps nearby and which ones were abandoned and needed cleaning up. You never know what you are going to find at the river, but you can be certain it is not good, sanitary, or reusable.

7 comments:

Laura E said...

Okay, that house sounds amazing, and the pictures prove it. Those ocean shots are amazing! I wanna come visit!! You are married to a truly amazing woman! Those pictures of you and Brenda are so cute. I hope you use one of them for your Christmas picture so I can have it hanging on my fridge all of next year!

bje said...

My guess: Toxic sludge from a cesspool near abandoned homeless camp. Maybe yes, maybe no?

The rest of the blog...nice stuff! Life in California looks pretty good.

Anonymous said...

John, looking forward to spending Thanksgiving break together so you can finally relax, just as we did in Monterrey. No matter how firm the air mattress is while we are camping, I might need to come to your side for warmth when it is a low of 8 degrees in Bryce Canyon. I will try to be a happy camper.
Laura, yes, those might be some possible Christmas pics unless we get some better ones in the National Parks in Utah this week. John thinks he might pick up a couple more wives in Utah while we are there, but he has a hard time handling just one!
As far as what that picture for the contest looks like, my guess is squid's eye.

Anonymous said...

John:

Looks like the same places your mother and I went when we were dating back in the dark ages. The pictures bring back the memories. The house you stayed in looks great. I used to take mom to Point Lobos for Saturday afternoon picnics and then we would go out for dinner on the wharf at Fishermans Grotto.

Anonymous said...

John, I am disappointed in you, my sleep number is 70--what a softie you are! The landlord--Deb Van Essen

Lyndsay said...

Nice post John, you capture the weekend. At least my son is doing something I'm teaching him:) We of course had a great time w/ you as well. I think your pic of our family might have christmas card possibility. I think the picture is a rock near the beach..although that seems too obvious so I'm probably wrong. I hope you guys have a super time in Utah. Keep your wife warm and stay away from more wives:)

bje said...

So, what's the answer for the picture challenge?

Inquiring people want to know.