Friday, July 6, 2007

Rubbing is racing

So it was the Fourth of July two days ago and a day off for most people. I say most people because I did not get it off and had to work. On the fouth I went to the Merced fairgrounds to see the dirt track races. It was a very eclectic mix of people and it is good to see a good old fashion car race. I also went to the races on Saturday and it was good then. There was a guy on sat. that flipped his car and majorly crashed right in front of the grandstands. As soon as he crashed the announcers started asking for donations for this guy to get his car fixed. He crashed it, he was the one racing, and he should be the one to fix it. I guess that is not the way it always works and they collected about $500 for this guy. It was an amazing crash, but he got his car back together and was racing wed. night. You never would have guessed his car was all broken just four days earlier.

If there is a place where you may be able to experience just of taste of what hell is going to be like it is today in Merced. It was 115 on my truck thermometer yesterday and absolutely no wind. A little warm to say the least. I got a flat tire on my truck and can not change it. It is a rental truck and I got the tire off and the truck jacked up, and then came to find out that the rental truck does not have the bar that one would use to crank the tire down from under the bed of the truck. So there I sat with the truck in the air and waiting for the tire company to come and get me a new tire.


Notice the fine example of local flavor.
Lots of trucks with huge American flags in the middle of the track

More fireworks
There were about 18 cars in the main event which made forre some close racing and some good old fashion paint swapping.
Cars that are to fast for the camera phone.
A note to Boer: I had no idea where you were living. We should have gotten together at VIP's of whatever it is called not and closed the bar down (that probably would have been around 10pm if it is still like it was in college) What is your website now?

7 comments:

Laura E said...

115 degrees? You're right. That's downright hellish. My mom told me it was 109 in Yakima. Geez! The car races look like a good time, although I would've liked to see a picture of the wreck! Are you ready to have Brenda home again? That girl's been gone for a long time! So did you get your truck fixed, or is it still hanging in the air somewhere?

Unknown said...

Laura
The tire service guys came and got the tire fixed, but I put in 12hrs due to that and various other shit that hit the fan. Yes I guess I would like to see Brenda again. She called at 6:15am this morning, but I was not in the mood to talk of course.

Lyndsay said...

Hey John, Are you ready to move to the valley now or what? This weather does suck, I'm just glad I"m not carrying around 40 extra pounds like last summer. Are you in Merced another week? I think it's supposed to cool down next week...to 95:)

Aubrey said...

Dude. Remember when you used to fart in the darkroom?

And when we'd listen to Jimmy Buffet? Good times.

Homeward Bound said...

You don't have any pictures of the sponsors' names in fireworks? That's hilarious.

Homeward Bound said...

We want more of the 'local flavor'!

Anonymous said...

Just the journal for now.

www.livejournal.com/users/squatchimo

I took down the website a while back when people got all worried that potential employers would find it. I don't understand what they were all wound up about.

You can see some pictures of our daughter too, if for some reason you're interested:

babyanna.multiply.com