Monday, July 30, 2007

The every changing and yet ever the same central valley

So this past week I went to work in Merced yet again. This seems to be a disturbing and continuing trend that I am not thrilled with. Someone (me or my co-worker) has to go tomorrow for a four day stint, but he was gracious enough to go. Brenda's birthday was on the 25th (wed) and she did not want me to miss it so she came down for that wed night and thurs. night as well. It was nice not to go home to an empty hotel room and also be with Brenda for her birthday. I got her an iPod and she likes it and I do as well. It is so nice to not have the cd's everywhere and skipping all of the time. I feel as if we have taken a giant leap into the 21st century.

While in Merced I got to give Brenda a tour of what I actually do. She has never really understood what I do and she cannot visit me at work in San Jose due to site security, but I think she now has somewhat of an idea.
Apparently it is cool in Merced to wear sandals with white socks. This is a fashion trend that some people I know have embraced, despite their friends sha-grin and warnings against such blatant disregard for all that is good and pure in the world. ( I know that the pic is small look closely)
The Sir James is a lounge and bar that has a great local scene, especially on Thurs. night Karaoke. Men in the area should take note, because I bet there were 16 single women in there and only about 3 guys. Great odds (if you don't mind 40yr old women that are trying to be 25 again(50% of the crowd)).

This is one of the only reasons I enjoy Merced... occasionally. I took Brenda to this taco truck(roach coach) because I talk so much about it. They have the best Al Pastor in the area and their Taco's are the best $1.25 you can spend. It is also good to note that I eat there all of the time and I have never gotten sick. I plead for people not to avoid the taco truck (even if they are often run by illegals) but embrace the excitement of the unknown( will I get sick or wont I). I had Head meat here one time and it was pretty good, but not as good as the Al Pastor.
Another girl in leg warmers. It was 100 this day but only about 90 when this picture was taken. I am not sure if you remember, but I saw another girl in leg warmers not to long ago and I posted a picture of her(seen below). Hers were blue and fuzzy, but these were black and silky (silky looking, I did not feel them). Is this a cool fashion trend that I am not aware of, or are these people really as ridiculous as they look.
Here is the same girl with a guy who had his pants so low his "cow door" in his boxer briefs was clearly visible...all of it ( I did not check closely due to the fact I am not gay). I felt like breaking his other arm to teach him a lesson and also because I knew that it would be hard for him to run because his strides would be greatly impaired by the crotch of his jeans clear down to his knees. What an idiot. Wait a second...guess who he's talking to...another tool...a match made in heaven???why are some people allowed in public.(I am sure they are nice kids, but are just trying to be individuals by looking like everyone else in Merced)
Brenda at the Farmers Market in Merced. Wow those new shorts look good on her, and the top to. Note the sandals without socks...much better looking.
This is a vendor that almost exclusively sold this type of top...need I say more.

I have just noticed that I am talking about clothes a lot. Now I am not what one might consider a fashionable person, but I think jeans and a t-shirt is always a safe bet and "normal" for a guy to wear. I say let people wear what they want, but they had just be ready to be made fun of if they look ridiculous (Or I am really bored).

7 comments:

Schenky said...

John, was that orange top for you or Brenda? You were really ripping people's fashion taste in the Central Valley. I guess I'll have to return those leg warmers I bought Lyndsay for Mother's Day...

Laura E said...

Way to go with the iPod! Good present! Did you think of it by yourself, or was Brenda asking for one?

Okay, you're right. Merced has some serious fashion isses. The guy must have a wicked tan line that he cannot bear to show in public. It must be better to be a fashion faux pas than to show his white ankles.

Leg warmers. These must be addressed. They're not even flattering. They make you look like you have cankles (calfs with no separation between the ankles). And that girl and guy make a horrendous pair. Just the thought of you running down the street with some guy hobbling after with a crotch down to his knees, hiking them up every couple steps....too funny!

Tell Brenda she looks really schnazzy in her Bermuda shorts. She mentioned to met that she was interested in gettting a pair. Love the green shirt too! And if she was wearing socks with those flip flops...yikes. The orange top reminds me of her Selena days.

Lyndsay said...

Nice clothing report John. I'm starting to wonder about you. Those poor Mercedians, they just can't help it. Us backward Central Valley folk need all the help we can get:)

Aubrey said...

You know...leg warmers are in. I don't wear ones that look like the ones those crazy people are wearing though. They aren't really for summertime, crazy Californians.

Crazy crazy Californians.

You coming to IL anytime soon? You and the wifey should visit.

Homeward Bound said...

I am pretty sure there is nothing else on the internet that I get more amusement from than reading your blog.

Futhermore, I wish you would write them more often. However, I know that you DO have a life (even if it's in Merced)

Ah Merced...the white trash capital of the world? What else is it known for?? Leg warmers I guess. That is so odd because its GOT to be hotter with those things on and thats what you would expect to see only at SJCS's skate party being worn by one the DJ's and maybe at the slopes on some uppidy Coloradan.

I think the only time is was cool is when Lloyd had them on walking up stairs after buying the new Lamborghini. That was hilarious.

We expect to see a picture of Brenda in her new top on the next post! lol

Anonymous said...

You will see no such thing of me wearing that top. I have doilies that have more thread in them.

Anonymous said...

breanda looks like she needs to shave her bush