Monday, June 11, 2007

Merced...just like home.

So I have been working out in Merced all of last week and it was ok. Merced in the central ca valley that boasts being the gateway to Yosemite even though it is more than 80 miles away from the park. I was able to have a good time at night after work many of the days. On thurs. I went to the Downtown farmers market/ fun time. There were a few food vendors and some farmers selling their produce. I am amazed that Campbell has a much better market even though it is in the middle of a big city, but I guess people in those parts probably have their own gardens and don't go to the farmers market. Some people think of sunshine, beaches, and hot chicks when you hear the work California. The central valley is not like this. In Merced there are a lot of weirdo's, sizable women, and people of questionable employment status. Why is this so? I went to a bar there that was like stepping 2000miles away with one step. Yes I am talking about the Midwest, but not intending it to be derogatory. This bar reminded me of VIP's or Borrowed Bucks and I really had a good time there watching Karaoke and being around the Americans that I most relate to (People that do not care more about their looks than their fellow man). An example of this is there was a visibly handicapped 18-22yr old girl out on the dance floor(very small dance floor) grooving to the classic country song Faded blue jeans, sung by a "colorful local", while holding a Barbie doll and stroking her head. No one in the bar even batted an eye or starred at her (which was very hard not to do). I have just made reference to a colorful local and feel the need to clarify. If any of you know who Hank Williams Jr. is this guy looked just like him glasses and all and had the hat and everything. I just starred at him because he looked so much like Hank I couldn't believe it. If you are ever in Merced on a Thursday night you need to stop by Sir James right off of I5 and you will have a great time.
This is an uninteresting picture of a Ferrous Iron machine that is full of acid that really burn when you get it on your skin (don't ask how I know that).




The main pain in the butt system I was working with.




One of the many locals in the area. Why fuzzy blue leg warmers you may ask...the answer...why not?


So I also have talked about our new apartment recently and below are a few pics of our new. I think that Howard (the Deer head) fits nicely into the Feng Shui we got going on in our new home.
The Love Machine taking a few minutes off from the constant workout it gets
Brenda on the guest bed Talking to he sister.



The new table and 4 of the six chairs.
Here I our favorite pet Howard
The Gigantic kitchen...no really...this is three times the size of our old one.

I call this the "magic" room

We also got a chance to go to a wedding up in Livermore this weekend (last night). We were invited to take care of little Ethan Schenk while his parents were out painting the town. The wedding was at a winery and had a open bar. In case you do not speak Johnaneese that means it was a great time and full advantage was taken by me of the facilities and all that they had to offer (Tanqueray and Tonic to my hearts content).
I am going to be working tomorrow and then driving up to Yosemite in the afternoon evening. Then I will hike Half Dome and drive home, and then I will go to work the next day. Lots of fun, but I think I may regret it.

5 comments:

Laura E said...

Interesting comments about the locals, and leaves me wondering whether I fit into your "Midwest" typecast. Yeah, probably. Nice to see pictures of the boring machines you work with, and even greater to see pictures of your new apartment, including the love machine, which looks like it just got some lovin'.

Aubrey said...

Ahhh....sapphire and tonic. Man after my own heart. So good.

I love what you've done with the place. And I want those amazing legwarmers.

I'm suprised you don't know Wilco. Check them out, they are good stuff. I think you'd really like them. (Sort of a alt-country sound) They are from Chicago but are known all over the U.S. of A.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! It's so good to have Brenda here! Hope you are enjoying the bachelor life for a week. Can't wait to see you next week!

Homeward Bound said...

Why do you call it the magic room?!

Anonymous said...

So did you pull a rabbit out of your hat or something like that in that so called "magic room"--- I'll see if it's true the next time we stay with you.. Sorry to say you will be in the guest room.