Thursday, June 14, 2007

I know that it has been a short time since my last post (less than a week), but I choose to keep my friends, family, and others who have nothing better to do than keep updated on my life, informed and knowledgeable about such things.

I took off two hours early at work and drove to Ripon on tues to meet up with Kevin, Joel, and Keith. We stopped at Taco Bell (the best fast food you can get, worth twice the price) and had a great dinner. We then got to our campsite outside of Yosemite and set up camp. With nothing to do after that, we were in need of a hackysack. None were to be found, but with Keith's sacrificial sock we cut the toe section off and filled it with pebbles. Then we cut vertical sections of the toe area and were able to tie it and make one. It worked very well.

Our goal for this trip the to conquer the might Half Dome. On wed. at 0630 we me up with Kevin's Uncle and Aunt (Brian and Gloria Top from Sioux Falls SD)and their three daughters(Kristen, Katie and Jessie) as well as Ruth(formerly Van Essen) at the Happy Isles trailhead. The hike went well and it was great seeing all that nature has to offer (is is good to note that "plants and soil are the foundation of all life"(this is a favorite phrase of Brian's and I have adopted it as well)). Half Dome is a "Extremely Strenuous"(as the hiking guide says) at 16.4 miles round trip and 4500' elevation gain. I was surprised by the fitness of the people we went with. Everyone was in great shape and able to keep up (this includes the more aged hikers in our group who were almost ready to go"over the hill"). A guy at the top asked Jess to take his picture. He was going out onto the ledge and was very specific about where he wanted to be in the picture (1/3 of the way up so you could see the cut back of the rock face). When he positioned himself he yelled over the same directions of photographic excellence and then again before the next picture the scenario repeated itself. This made Jess very nervous about getting just the right picture for the guy. It turns out this guy had hiked to the top of the great monolith over 20 times. Hadn't he had his picture taken already?

After the Hike we were invited back to the to Tops hotel for swimming, pizza, and beer. Because the magic word (beer) was said, no convincing was necessary (free is also a magic word that was used, but since beer was the first one I stopped listening after that). We had a great time at dinner and it seems that every time Kevin is around he is funnier and funnier, because he had everyone laughing. I am told that it is the volatile ingredient of me that makes him tell stories that would make a sailor blush, but since I only see him in that context I must come to the only logical conclusion..he is always funny). I have not had that much fun at a dinner in a long time.
Brian, Gloria, Kristin, Katie, and Jess Top are very wonderful, amazing, fun, and energetic people that were a pleasure to be around. I cannot say enough about their family and what good people they are. During dinner it was explained to Gloria that she not can just have one word answers to all the questions that people ask about her trip to CA. A possible and very probable scenario is below

Unnamed woman at social gathering: Gloria, so good to see you. How was your tip to California?
Gloria: Half Dome
Unnamed woman at social gathering: What that? Did you have a good time?
Gloria: Half Dome
Unnamed woman at social gathering: That's nice, How are your kids doing? Is your daughter ready to get married in November?
Gloria: Half Dome

Another probable scenario

Clerk at the counter at Hy-Vee: Hello, paper or plastic?
Gloria: Half Dome
Clerk at the counter at Hy-Vee: What? Did you just say paper?
Gloria: Half Dome
Clerk at the counter at Hy-Vee: Miss, I just want to know can I use paper or plastic?
Gloria: Half Dome
Clerk at the counter at Hy-Vee: Maam, I have no idea what you are talking about, but if I do not get an answer from you soon I will have to get my manager.
Gloria: Half Dome
Clerk at the counter at Hy-Vee: That is not an answer! I am just trying to help you, but if you insist on being difficult I will have no other options. (loaf of bread is smashed under a jug of milk).
Gloria: Half Dome
Clerk at the counter at Hy-Vee: You have pushed me to far and now (carton of eggs being smashed) I hope you (various fruit being bruised, crushed, and stabbed by the now knife wielding clerk at the counter at Hy-Vee) get the H*** out of here (clerk is tackled as she advanced towards Gloria with a knife in hand. She is then handcuffed and taken away.)
When asked about the incident Gloria has only one response…Half Dome.

There was so many more things that happened, but I have little time to write seeing as I type at the blazing speed of 4wpm.

PS Myron Kampers blog has been boycotted from my site pending the actual posting of anything new from him. Stay tuned



Recipe for a good time:
1.Beer
2.old sock
3.small rocks
4.knife
5.beer
Right before the next pick.

I am friends with these guys, but am not sure why. Jess is in the white shirt and Chacos and is enjoying the show( but not as much as Rit is).
Top of Vernal Falls after the "grabbing" and "stretching"
Kevin getting his fill water and beaver fever at Nevada Falls



Brians backside going up. He has had three knee reconstructive surgeries but would not slow down

Break time on the way up. Rit is pointing where we are going (as if there is another giant half sphere in the area and were confused)
The cables. Very steep, but a good place to freak people out...just don't fall.
Atop the Great Beast
On the way down.
Rit(Joel) and I at Nevada Falls on the way down.
A bit of the beautiful scenery







8 comments:

Schenky said...

The picture of Rit and I "stretching" is slighly misleading. He told me he had a large cramp and it meerly needed a little "working". Once again John you have outdone yourself with your wit and humor. Something tells me a little "Old Crow" did most of the inspiring of today's blog. Keep em' coming buddy. Half Dome 07 will not soon be forgotten...or so my calves tell me.

Homeward Bound said...

I never said that. I think . . . nevermind. It was a good time. We need to do that again!

You forgot to make mention of the crazy Swiss and extreme chaffing!!

Homeward Bound said...

I concur though . . . If I ever need a good laugh I know where to go. It's almost like being with the real John!

(Minus the alcohol and obscene comments!)

Laura E said...

Taco Bell is worth twice the price? Hmmm...not sure about that...

Nice work on the homemade hackysack. Are you a big hackysacker?

Interesting stuff about the dude who had to have the exact right picture taken. Why doesn't he bring a friend with him to get the right shot?

Half Dome conversations...I guess you had to be there, and I don't appreciate you knockin' the people with a friendly smile in every aisle.

Recipe: you forgot the pebbles!!

Beaver fever: hmmm...care to explain? Not a term I'm familiar with.

John, you look hot. I haven't seen a picture of you in so long! I was on the phone with Brenda when I was first checking out your blog. I think she's anxious to see you in just a few days. I'm nervous that our bed downstairs won't hold up during "the reunion."

Aight. See ya in a few days.

~Laura~

Lyndsay said...

Nice post John. I'm so glad you boys had a good time. It's great that you like my family so much. Did you expect anything less from people related to me???? Someday we'll have to do Half Dome w/ our kids:)

I also enjoyed seeing pics of your new place finally. I liked the descriptions of your bedroom...very informative. I didn't know you guys were that kind of couple;)

Anonymous said...

All those hikes look so easy, John. Those are evening strolls for me. Sissy Californians.

Lyndsay said...

http://www.modbee.com/local/v-dp_morning/story/13701680p-14289760c.html

John, thought you may want to check this out:)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. Maybe it was a good things Lyndsay and I wasn't there as it looked like there was a lot of "male bonding" and touchy feely stuff that I am not comfotable with. Can't wait to see you tomorrow!