Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Indiana in the fall

So last weekend we went out to the great state of Indiana, a state I have not seen in about 9 years. Brenda's sister and her family live out there and we thought this would be a great time to go and see them. Here are the Voyagers arriving by canoe. It rained all day Friday, but cleared up for the feast on Sat and Sun. It was very muddy and a bit cold, but that is just the taste of the midwest Brenda and I wanted.
There also were some Scot's in the area so they had a caber toss for fun as well.
Dan is a woodworker and he has the booth at the Feast of the Hunters Moon. This is a get together to celebrate the French Voyagers history of the area. Dan has a booth where he has kids turn a giant wheel and the wheel turns a lathe. The kids get a chance to pick out a figure for Dan to turn on the lathe and then he makes it and gives it to them.
Part of the requirement to work in the booth is that you had to dress in the period clothing. So Brenda and I got to partake and dress accordingly. I told them all I needed was a loin cloth, but for some reason they insisted that I wear the knickers.
Baking some Bread.
There was a blackpowder reliability test and the guy firing right now is just wearing a loin cloth. He was so hardcore.
Dan also had another guy at the booth who turned some wood toys for the kids and gave him some breaks.
Abby was very happy...and I am holding her, so I guess she likes me.
Here are the girls.
Finally the last day we had time to go for a walk around the neighborhood and found a pumpkin patch.
Great time was had by all and we are so glad we went out to Indiana.

Brenda with her cloak and the girls.

3 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Such cute pictures guys. It looks like you had a great time. Good call on avoiding the loin cloth, I'm pretty sure we don't need to see that. What cute little girls.

Laura E said...

Abby and Maggie are SO CUTE! Aw, I can't believe how big they are. That festival looks like fun, although I thought sure you would've critiqued more wardrobes. Glad you had a good time. We need to talk on the phone again soon!!

Schenky said...

That gathering looks like a DeJong family reunion. Brenda, I'm sure it was difficult to get John to return to "normal" California...