Monday, January 5, 2009

To start the first blog of the new year, I thought that I should put this terrific sign that I saw while driving through the central valley.
This Christmas we had a great time visiting family up in the great state of Washington. we left home on the 24th and went to Mt. Vernon to visit my parents for a few days. It is always a good time visiting the parents and we got to see a bunch of snow which is uncommon for that area. The heat went out on our second day there so it is a very good thing that my parents have a wood stove. It is unfortunate that the wood stove is on one end of the house and not in the middle so the heat did not travel out into the rest of the house very well.

Can you believe that my parents still have a rotary phone? I thought these things went out with black and white TV. It still works so I guess it is as good as any other, but you cannot dial out on it because the phone service cannot deal with this archaic technology.

Here is the gift that I lovingly handcrafted for my parents. The windmill is a pattern I made from a picture I took while in Holland. I burned the windmills and the great De Jong name into the wood to make a pretty cool looking sign.
I also made one for my in-laws and put a couple of Model T's on it for my father in-law, who is currently restoring his 3rd one.

Here is the cool new gym and school that my dad helped build/fund/design. It is very big and it is one place where I wish I went to school.
Making dinner in the nice kitchen. Isn't my old man cool.

After my parents house we took their truck and drove to Brenda's parents to visit with their family. Paula and Kevin (along with the associated rugrats) flew in the day before and we got a chance to hang out with them.
Rugrat number one is pictured here...no not the one on the right, that is Brenda...it is Landon on the left.

My in-law's might get the award for the best Christmas present ever. Next time you call here I will be talking on this wonderful piece of "functional art".

There was a Christmas cookie decorating contest when the men were watching Bourne Ultimatum. The winner is on the right. Paula had a great design, but Brenda's snowman with buckteeth and pocket protector was pretty cool.
Speaking of buckteeth... I wish Brenda would brush her teeth more often. She loves to make these fake teeth out of walnuts.
A blistering game of settlers always keeps the blood pumping and is about the only exercise I got all week.
I think Landon loves having his shirt off...a real mans man.
We went out to the Elk feeding grounds before we went sledding. There are so many elk that, to keep them away from the farmers field and away from traffic, they feed them at higher elevations. There were some great bulls that dwarf the bull I got this year.
Look at that guy in the middle and tell me you don't want to have that on your wall and in your freezer.
Brenda's grandfather carved this totem pole and it was given to a family friend after her grandmother moved out of her house. He repainted it and it looks great.
Brenda's sister and brother-in-law...with the rugrats.
Kids being kids.
Brenda and I having a happy new year.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know,Brenda, John will have his "man Cave" someday, with the phone and antlers and head he already has, he is well on his way.
But true to his nature you'll get your craft room too:)We Loved seeing you.
MOM DJ

Lyndsay said...

Nice post John. Looks like you guys had a great time with the fam. I look forward to hearing more details soon. I love the name plaques you made for your parents. You're so crafty:)

Anonymous said...

How many calls have you taken on the deer phone? Has Brenda gotten the hang of putting the tree limb in her ear? When it rings does it sound like a buck snortting? If it did that would be swe-e-e-et!

Laura E said...

John, I too really like the plaques you made for your parents. Very well done! The little rugrats are so cute! I love Landon's pointy lip. We got to see them for a few short minutes last night. Love the deer phone! And please do tell what the ringer sounds like...maybe you can make a video of this somehow? Doesn't Paula always win the decorating contests? I always remember her winning the Easter egg contest at the Mesmans. I remember that old totem pole! You're right, it looks great with a fresh coat of paint!

Homeward Bound said...

You're so crafty John...maybe you should go into business for yourself and go to all the craft shows and sit and chat with the middle-aged women who brought their bunt cakes, sewing material, lawn figurines and Christmas decorations! I could see you fitting into that crowd actually. You might have to bring your own beer though?

I can't believe you guys were on the 198 (John De Jong Sr.s) and didn't stop by at the Rietema's in Hanford! I know, I know...Reanna's is way cooler, I get it. Hahaha

That Bull Elk is glorious.

That phone is even more glorious and I want one.

Keep posting! Hope both of your years are off to a great start!

bje said...

Fantastic post once agian! Looks like your Christmas with the famdamily was pretty good as well.

That deer phone looks awesome! However, am I mistaken, but is it a rotary dial? Now you will be sut as cool as your parents with your very own rotary dial phone!

Andrea VW K. said...

Hi DeJongs!
Great to hear about your holiday adventures, good times! John you are really skilled at woodburning! Do you have more peices that you've done? I'll have to step into your 'man space' aka your garage, with your permission of course and see more of your work sometime!

a & m kamper said...

John,
I am envisioning a Kamper sign with cows on the sides . . . .
I would even pay you to make one for my parents, cold hard cash if you would like . . .
Myron