Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sailing as always

The GPS readout of our course. It may not look that straight, but it got us where we were supposed to go.


Last Saturday we had a race out of the Berkley Circle and as always it was a good time. We finished first overall, but corrected time we came in second. This weekend I have all day race from Richmond to Stockton (downwind the whole way and I am hoping for very strong wind as always). It is always a good time. I also have another race next Saturday so as you may be able to tell that I am very busy. With races and Wed. night sailing I am going to go out about twice a week for the next few weeks.


Brenda got her test results back yesterday and it was not the best news. We were both hoping and praying that she would only have type 2 diabetes, but it showed that she indeed does have type 1. I am glad that Brenda insisted on this test, because the doctor took the wait and see approach and that is not acceptable when it comes to my wife’s health (just because someone becomes a doctor doesn’t mean they have any common sense). She is now started on insulin and she will be fine tuning here eating and medication regiment for the next few weeks and would appreciate your prayers. She is a trooper and is really getting the hang of controlling her condition.

I know this is a short post, but I think that the video makes up for it. I am the one in the all yellow foulies near the bow of the boat( and on the bow setting up the boat at the beginning in yellow pants and a blue fleece). The video is not during the race, but rather near the starting line and getting ready to race.

4 comments:

Laura E said...

Sweet! It was fun seeing some video of you sailing, and that music is so pleasing to the ear! We'll continue to keep Brenda in our prayers as she adjusts to a whole different lifestyle. Love you guys!

Homeward Bound said...

Hey Buddy,

Looks like summer is kickin' into full gear for you guys with the camping and sailing again. I was surprised to see all the snow and rain in the camping shots but not surprised at all that you guys toughed it out and had a great time!

Thanks for posting the video too...looked like it wasn't the sunniest day but certainly windy enough, eh?! By the end your fleece was gone and you had the hood over your head. The music was pretty soothing too!

Thanks so much for the news on Brenda too...I have been praying for her and thinking about your guys a lot. I'm sure the news was discouraging and the new eating regiment are hard pills to swallow. Glad to hear you guys are on top of it though, even if the doctor isn't always.

Please pray for me too if you think about it as I am at the hospital every day. I know God is sovereign but it's still hard to deal with sickness, pain and dying every day. Last week we had a 4 yr old come into the ER that we they could not save (he had a twin brother too). That was a rough day for me. Then yesterday I was asked to baptize a stillborn little girl. Stories like this are constantly happening.

Thanks guys, love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi John,

What a cool name for the sailboat - Gandalf! I am a big Tolkien fan (and I was a fan before it was cool, I read the books when I was in grade school). Gandalf is such a cool wizard.

What a lot of people on that boat. I was surprised to see such a crowd. You must have to learn how to work as a team or you'd be bumping each other overboard.

Randy and I will keep Brenda in our prayers, too, and you as you walk beside her. Do you know that David Meester is diabetic and was also diagnosed in his 20's, after graduating from Calvin? You might want to connect with him sometime and talk about how he learned to live with it and handle the whole thing. I know he uses an injection system but not much else.

Mavis

Lyndsay said...

Hey John,

Thanks for the update on Brenda, like everyone else we will remember to pray for her. It must be nice to have a correct diagnosis.

So will you guys be stoping in Stockton and then driving back? It would be fun to see you for a couple minutes. We dont have a lot going on this weekend. Let us know!