Sunday, June 15, 2008

Long race day

Last weekend we had the Delta Ditch run. This is a ~65 miles race from Richmond to Stockton. The race is notorious for strong winds, but this year was a little different. I woke up at 5am to get to Stockton to catch the bus to Richmond. I got on the boat at about 10am and we started the race at 1110. The wind was very light, but steady. We finished after dark at 1030pm and then I drove back home. Yes it was a very long day, but in retrospect we had a good time (only in retrospect). We saw an awesome demasting where a boat hit a channel marker. it was one of the best crashes I have ever seen.
Cool new shirt I got
Thursday was the last day of school so Brenda went to get a haircut. She usually has long hair during the school year for ponytail reasons (or so she claims), but I like it short so she got it cut. I think it looks good and she was very happy to see it cut so it is all good. Of course she was supposed to go to school on Friday and clean out her classroom, but since she does not have a classroom she left for the Midwest for a couple of weeks. Yes I am staying at home and holding the fort down for now.
My lovely wife...mmmm...Brenda
Yesterday I had a few sailing races and today I went out with a guy I had never been out with before on a 505. This is a small dinghy racer with a trapeze where I could hang all the way off the side of the boat by a thin wire. It was a rush and a good time. The guy I went with was a great teacher and very patient. He was not very patient when it came to the lack of wind at the beginning and about everything else. I work around construction guys all day and usually hear a large amount of foul language, but this guy was in another stratosphere. Everyother word out of his mouth was a curse word and he strung together words I have never heard in the same phrase before. He brought a new meaning to cursing like a sailor.



5 comments:

Laura E said...

Hey John, we're having a great time hanging out with your wifey out her. It's so good to see her again. I hope you're not too lonely without her. She was telling us about your long days. Ugh! But it looks like you're having a good time sailing around.

Lyndsay said...

I love Brenda's haircut! It makes me want to chop mine! Looking forward to seeing you Friday night.

bje said...

Hey John, your wife's new hair cut looks even better in person than in the pictures in you blog. It is sure fun seeing her again. Too bad you couldn't make it out here also, but I understand.

Well, take care. We'll try to keep your wife out of too much trouble...You know, those Elenbaas's are a rowdy clan!

Anonymous said...

"Holding the fort down," huh? You might want to check the mail once! Those bills don't just show up by the computer magically...it does take a trip to the mail box (at least once in 2 weeks)! Hope nothing is overdue!

Anonymous said...

Those Elenbaas's sure are a rowdy clan...especially on a night out at the Falls Park Light Show! ZZZzzzzzz!!! In the words of Father Elenbaas, "It was almost as exciting as a game of Settlers when your properties are on 2s and 3s, and only 7s are rolled!"