Saturday, January 17, 2015

Sledding in the new year

We have finally put the Christmas decorations away and before we did that it was time for one last play with the nativity scene.  
Of course there was plenty of sharing and there was no fighting at all.
It recently snowed in Spokane enough that we could do some serious sledding.  We also wanted to get Matthew a passport in case we go to Canada in the near future.  As you may know, both parents have to be present when you get a passport (for good reason) so one Saturday we headed to Coeur d'Alene ( which is the only office open on Saturday) and after that went to the best sledding hill in the area.

There were a lot of people and it was kind of dangerous if you got up and did not get out of the way at the bottom of the sledding hill.  James had his sled taken out once while he was dragging it up the hill.  It was pretty funny.
James was really brave and headed down the 100 yd hill all alone and eventually went backwards.  There was one area where there  was a mud puddle as you may be able to see.
James was having the time of his life.
Matthew and I sat at the bottom of the hill for a while while Brenda and James hit the slopes.  Here she is heading down the hill in every direction humanly possible.  Matthew went down the hill as well, but since he is still a little young to be going on his own I think he liked watching even better.
Last weekend Brenda wanted to try out ice skating.  I actually really enjoy it, but have the obvious issues of having to find rental skates big enough.  Well, as I figured, the biggest size the rink had was two sizes too small so Matthew and I sat it out while James and Brenda hit the rink.  James did a great job and constantly wanted to do it on his own.
I am not sure James knew what he was getting into, but it sure looked like he was having a good time.
Matthew liked watching and it was probably a good thing that they did not have my size skates.  I don't think Matthew would have done so well since he has a hard time walking sometimes
Helmets were free so we thought we would be good parents and put one on him.
And here is Brenda doing her best impression of Katarina Skumizuchuskini or some other Russian skater I have never heard of. 
She does look good though doesn't she.
Look at them going after it.
Matthew and I got to watch from the penalty box for a while and I think he really wanted to go out there and see what all the fuss was about.  Maybe next time I will have a pair of my own skates and will be able to participate.

Tonight Brenda left me and the boys alone while she went to a baby sprinkle.  No,  I don't know what that is and no, I don't really care but it gave us some time to goof off and act like superheros.
Matthew is absolutely terrifying...no, not really.

No comments: