Monday, October 6, 2014

County Fair and James learning to ride his bike

The county fair was in town a couple of weeks ago so we had a chance to go.  We were stoked to be able to go and always enjoy a couple of hours at the fair and we also got to go to the Rodeo.  First of we had to go to all of the local animal and craft booths.
James and Matthew were amazed at the giant pumpkins, but when we got to look at the sunflowers I was a  little disappointed that I had a bigger sunflower at home...guess I should have entered it into the fair and I may have won a ribbon.
Jan and Jim  came with us and they got a chance to show James how to pig out at the fair.  He was not sure what to think when I asked him if he wanted an elephant  ear.  I think he got the idea when Jan started eating it and after that, there was no stopping him.
Matthew was all excited to see his brother riding a  couple of the  rides.
Brenda got a chance to go on the teacups and Jan said she took it easy on her.  Jan loves to spin all sorts of crazy.
Summer is coming to an end, but we have had a few days where it is still hot enough to get the old little blue pool out and go for a swim.  The boys have really got courage this summer when it comes to jumping in and out of the water.
Of course, when you get the pool out you also got to get the sprinklers. 
It is always a great sight on a summers night to look out over the valley and see the Spokane hot air balloon floating over the ridges.  Brenda of course would love to go, but I looked it up and it is quite expensive.  I don't think it is worth the money, but she assures me it is.  I will continue to stand my ground...I would rather actually go somewhere if I am going to spend that kind of money.
Nothing like running in the backyard to blow off some late afternoon energy.
I think James ran about 20 circles this night seeing how crazy he could act and if I would take a picture or two of him.  I of course obliged him.
Jim and Jan  were out of town for a couple weeks and found a couple of super hero sweatshirts for the boys.  Matthew likes to look through his mask that flips down over his head.
 
On another exciting note, a week or so ago we thought it was about time for James to get his training wheels off.  After some protest from him, we agreed that we would leave them on the bike but flip them up so they would be doing no good whatsoever.  The first time all I had to do was to get that kid going and off he was tearing around the neighborhood.  He drove all over in the past two weeks and has not really fallen even once.  He is quite the rider, going off road and now can go anywhere.
Here is the smiley boy himself.
This is a great picture.  I told his to go as fast as he could past me and this is the result.
Here is the quintessential Matthew pose...cute curly hair and thumb in his mouth.
 
Although his hair was so cute, Brenda thought it was about time to have his first hair cut. 
He is a little hesitant, but was a great kid on the chair...or so I am told.
He did appear to like having his hair cut, but maybe it was because he had two women doting over him.
I guess what I will end with is the dinnertime at the DeJong's house...all fun and games as always.

1 comment:

Jim and Jan Klosterman said...

Great pictures John. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw James tearing around on his bicycle! He even showed me he could put up his feet on the top rail and coast along. He did take a spill (right over the handlebars) but didn't even whimper or cry one bit. All this at 3 years of age. What will he be doing at age 7? Matthew is such a cutie with his new haircut and now looks like a little man. He's going to have a trail of young ladies following him!

Jim