Thursday, July 24, 2014

Fouth of July Campout


As the end of the month draws near I noticed I have not been very diligent at keeping up with the all important downloading of the pictures of the kids but finally got around to it.  I will attempt to summarize what we have been up to in this post but will be posting another more up to date entry soon as well.
 
It has been very warm up here in Spokane and with two or more weeks of over 90 degree temps it was time to get out to the local lakes and have a swim or two.  We also had a chance to go on the annual church campout which was held at a state park on south lake Coeur d'Alene.
 
This is one of the calmer moments of the campout and this is after a day at the beach and fishing.  When I say a day of fishing I really mean about 30 minutes of fishing where I was very excited for James to catch his first fish.  Once it was on the line he reeled it up like a champ, I helped him lift it out of the water.  As soon as he saw the fish and it wiggled he dropped the pole and ran down the dock screaming like a little girl.  I did the appropriate thing a called to him and tried to make him hold the line with the fish on the end, but he continued to be a scaredy cat and would run away screaming.  Needless to say it is not exactly what I envisioned for this first time catching a fish and there was no time for taking a picture.
We had a chance to bike to Harrison ID for some Ice Cream.  Cotton Candy was the flavor James decided on after much deliberation and maybe he got that just so me and mother would not want any.
Then we went down to the Harrison beach.  James loves playing with his loader and dump truck.  He is constantly loading and dumping the sandy dirt from the beach.  It was a lot of fun to watch.
The beach at Harrison has a floating dock with a diving board.  This is a ton of fun and is even more fun since they do not have one of those pesky life guards who tend to put a stop to any activity in the water that may be considered fun.  Here, it is swimmer beware and you had better get out of the way before the next kid goes off the board or you are going to be in a world of hurt.
Here is James and Noah sharing trucks and hanging out at the campsite.  When kids aren't crying, fighting or whining they can be very cute.
Dinner time. Notice the cornbread on the table I cooked in the dutch oven.  It came out a lot better than I thought it would, but then again how can you go wrong when you add twice the butter the recipe calls for.
Here is Matthew enjoying a little desert and whipped topping.  That kids loves to eat, but only what he wants to.  He can be quite stubborn at times.
All kids love to "dip" and ours are no exception.  Matthew usually eats more Ketchup than food, but here he got more on his face than he got in his mouth.
Lastly, nothing like washing the car on a hot day.  This boy must get this from his grandpa DeJong, because I only wash a car when absolutely necessary and I am not sure if he has seen me do so (although I do wash the motorcycle).  My father on the other hand washes his car about once a week and I feel bad every time the kids get in to it because I know it is not going to look nice for long.


No comments: