Monday, July 22, 2013

Annual Summer Get Together

So much has happened in the past few weeks that I am at a loss on where to start with all the pictures I have, but will start with the family vacation and then follow-up next post with the BMW rally.
Summer is here and man is it hot.
The only way to cool off from the heat is to have your kid douse you with water and relax.  This may look ridiculous, but it was very relaxing.
 
We headed out to my parents place on the 3rd to visit with the whole family.  My brother and his family were already there so we got there and got right to it having a great time catching up and getting the kiddos all wound up.  That of course is my forte and I really liked wrestling with them and making the whole house shake and my mom all concerned that someone was going to get hurt.  That is when you know you are right in the sweet spot of being rambunctious.
 First day was at the museum and living history house at the university campus.
Day 2 was an attempt to go to a rodeo in Livingston, but upon arrival finding it was sold out was a bummer.  We then went to the Bozeman fairgrounds and watched the local fireworks.
Kiddos having a great time
Isn't America a great place to live.
 
Day 3 had us going to Nevada City for a train ride and view of the historical buildings.
James was influencing Joey with the low hat thing.
The train ride was a huge hit with James and the whole crew.
Does this look painful to anyone else?
 
My bother being an active fisherman brought me out of retirement and we got a chance to hit the water with the old man and have a great time in the outdoors just hanging out.  I had some moderate luck and had a blast catching three different species two days in a row….not bad if I do say so myself.  Seeing as I will be back in MT to see Mom and Dad in the not so distant future I bought a yearlong pass so next time I go out there I can get out on the water again.
Big brown I caught
A nice rainbow of my brothers.
Night time at the house had outdoor games of red light green light, mother may I, and using a metal detector to look for junk...I mean, treasure... around the yard.
I think we played hand and foot every night and had a good time doing it.  Kind of frustrating when you help someone else play and they beat you, but I guess that just means I am partly a winner as well.
Took the two boys fishing one day.  They really like to throw rocks.  Joey caught a fish after James and I left.
James wanted to do everything Joey did.
Went out to Buffalo Jump State Park and climbed to the top.
Fed the neighborhood horses.
Tami and Justin came on Saturday and we had a great time as a huge family riding in the 15 passenger van to Yellowstone and running all around the park.  It was pretty busy there and finding a spot to park was a challenge, but we had some good times all the same.
Does this look like fun or what.  It would have been a bit better it Matthew did not blow out all over his clothes twice.
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.
It was the best time we have had together as a huge group family and had just enough downtime with just enough excitement that made for one really great vacation.  Summer time in Bozeman rivals about anywhere in the world.

1 comment:

Lyndsay said...

John-

I'm sure that is not the first time your son has seen you laying in a pool, "sleeping", with a PBR in your hand. You need to bring the clan to CA and they can see uncle Kevin doing that with a Sierra Nevada. We keep it classy.

Good to see you guys are doing well. I've never seen a bjorn look so good on a grown man.

Schenk