Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fishing and Bodie

So after the Reunion we went up to the mountains for some time away and fishing. We went to the same place I went to a few weeks ago with the guys, but now I brought the wife. She ended up being quite the good fisherwoman.
Here is Brenda bring'n in the first catch on the first day. Rock Creek lake is stocked with rainbows and we caught all planters, but they were a great time.

Here is Brenda displaying here catch that she later ate for dinner. You can't get more fresh than that.
Here is Brenda chilling out at the homestead. We actually stayed in a campground for a change (we usually go off of some old dirt road with the inevitable bearded gun yeilding redneck at the end). The temperature was great, but if you go 10miles down the hill the change was 30degrees (up to 103).
That is some fresh eating...and good to.
Our new camera takes some great pictures.
Brenda fishing on the upper Owens river above Crowley's lake.
The majestic Convict lake. I guess there was some sort of gunfight between convicts from Carson City here back in the 1880's. Only one guy from the posse died.

Wen stopped by the ghost town of Bodie on the way home. This town is near the Nevada border and is an old gold/silver mining town that in 1878 went from only 20 residents to over 10,000 in 1879. Now that is a boomtown. In 1879 Bodie was the third largest city in CA (tied with Sacramento) and now only has 3 year round residents which are California state park employees. The houses were left in many cases with almost all of the stuff in them and you can see them through the window. This is a must see for anyone going to the eastern Sierras. (they used to mine using mercury and Cyanide so it is also a toxic waste site in certain areas). Today there are about 70 buildings still standing, but that is only about 5% of the total back in the "golden years".

Your classic ghost town two holer. Brenda tried it out...no not really. One of the only two chrches the town had. I think this was quite the rough town back in the day because they had over 60 bars operating in 1879 and no Churches until years later.
Awesome graveyard. No family needs to bring flowers when you have these natural ones around.

Jim, Is this the front axle from on 1915 or 1916 model T.
PS:my family is from Freisland

8 comments:

Laura E said...

So nice chattin' with ya'll tonight. And to follow up with a fresh blog is really great. Man, I feel almost spoiled. What kind of camera did you get? Why did you need a new one? It wasn't like your other one was broken or anything...

That church is gorgeous! Wow! I feel like I should add a PS and say where my family is from...

Anonymous said...

A state park worker got married in there a couple years back. It was leaning a bit.
P.S. Where is your family from?

Laura E said...

PS - not sure where my family's from. Although the last time I flew through Amsterdam and showed the gate attendant my passport, he was quite excited that my last name was Eisenga. He was good friends with some Eisengas right there in Amsterdam...but then again, those are my in-laws! :)

Unknown said...

The PS is for the Dave Person who was wondering on the last blog. Our camera is a SD750, very small and very cool. Don't remind me about the other broken camera...I'm such a idiot.

Anonymous said...

John,
The axle is not Model T, but I do not know what it is. Nice pics. That camera or one comparable was on my short list when we got our last fall.
Jim

Lyndsay said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! I've always wanted to visit a ghost town. Make sure you don't do any cartwheels in the Netherlands:)

Dave said...

Thanks for the PS, John. I guess there's no relationship since my family comes from South Holland.

Great photos. I envy you the ability to get to wonderful country like that for weekends.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I loved the picture of the cemetery with all the wild flowers (weeds). When we had visited, nothing was blooming and this brought a different light to the place. I think there were only two other visitors the day we went. Pretty spooky.
Mom