Sunday, September 16, 2007

Nothing much


Sweet fire near where I work that burned over 45,000 acres. Not a good situation, but cool to look at.


I know that I have not posted in a while and some of you are very bored at work and check my web page every hour on the hour for any sort of update whatsoever. Here it is. Last weekend I had aa sailing race to moss landing and we did well. We did not win the actual race, but that is because it would be nearly impossible for us to win against boats that are inherently faster and bigger than us. To compensate for this each boat has a rating and this tells you how much faster the other boats are supposed to be that you per mile of the race. Well it ends up that we were not first, but with the corrected time we turned out to win the regatta yet again (we also won this race last year). It was close, but it could have been closer.

This week I was up in Richmond at a Oil Refinery working on a project up there. We are removing mercury contaminated sediment in the bay and I am going to be doing the confirmation sampling over the next month or two or longer. Hopefully it will not be every day, because it is about a hour and 15min away and more with traffic so I am going to be staying there for the time being. Everything else seems to be the same old same old here. This weekend we were totally free for a change and I sat around all day yesterday and watched football. What a good day. Today is up in the air, but something outside definitely will happen because it is 75-80 degrees and sunny of course.

I wanted to comment on that lady who left about 20Million dollars to her dog or some crap like that. How pathetic is your life that your closest friend is a do?. I would rather be poor and have a friend that could at least talk to me instead of one that will crap and then lick its own rear-end. People who spend thousands on dogs (or any other pet that is treated like a "member" of the family) make me very annoyed. Out here there was an interview with a homeless woman who lost her job in the big collapse of the "high tech" area a few years ago. She was bemoaning the fact that she misses those good old days when she was making lots of money and would pamper her dog with $10,000 operations, massages, and other crap. Was I the only one who was thinking that had she used her money stewardly she would not be homeless? By and large you can determine your own circumstances and you must live with the stupid(or smart) decisions you make. Allowing yourself to elevate a pet to "Family member" status is the beginning of a slippery slope where you care less about those in real need and waste you money on dumb pets(who could care less about you and would like anyone who would just give them a treat or attention). An animal had outlived its usefulness when to care for it costs more then it would be worth if it was butchered and sold in a local taco truck.





The new dredge that takes the sediment(~21acres of it) and puts it-


into this field that is huge and then the contaminated soil with be mixed with concrete and will not be able to escape into the bay anymore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

John:
I had not checked things out for a week of two. Great pictures of your hike into the mountains. Sometime you have to take your old man out.
Are you slamming our relationship with our little dog? Molly is a cute little thing. However, there is limit to how much we will spend. Rest assured our dog will not recieve your inheritance, even though it will probably be about $2.00 or so.

bje said...

Good to know that your dad is not going to give away your inheritance to their dog. :)

Glad to see you are back to blogging. We were sure missing your "smart alec" ramblings.

Laura E said...

Hi John! So glad you're finally back! I was about to put a boycott on my page because you hadn't posted in so long! I'm not sure either how pets can raise to family member status as far as receiving inheritance. Are you really that moronic to leave money to your dog? And what happens to that money after the dog dies? I'm sure it goes right to the state because that dog isn't going to make any decisions as to where that money goes. The dog would will it to some person's leg, if it could, I'm sure. ANYWAY! Looking forward to hearing from you and Brenda this week. I'll call you if you don't get to me first. :) No pranking! I have caller ID!

Anonymous said...

Laura--The dog would will the money to some person's leg=Hilarious! Yes, I will call you immediately if not sooner. And we will call from a payphone if we have to just to prank you.

John--Yes, you are always full of opinions, many I agree with. Unlike me you have such a way with words like putting useless pets in the form of taco meat. I'll have to get that image out of my mind before the next time we go on a date to a roach coach. Delicious!