Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Yet even more time has gone by and now an update is needed. On last wed. I got tickets to the raiders game for Friday vs. the rams. Brenda and I were toying with taking BART up there but we have to drive 25 min to get to the terminal and only about 20 more to continue on driving so we took the motorcycle up there. It took about a hour with all of the traffic and splitting lanes. In California it is legal for a motorcycle to “share” a lane with a car and ride the centerline between cars when they are slower.
It is much faster, but a little more dangerous.


Raiders Game on the 50yd line. Free tickets are always good.

The game was great and the fans were not as bad as what we thought they would be. There were a few people being crazy, but it was nice. Of course Oakland is not a very nice town and there is a lot of crap all over the place. Smells of beer and garlic fries, players cashing into each other, and trash floating in the stadium like the feather out of the beginning of the Forest Gump movie...picturesque to say the least.

Sunday we had our new pastor and his wife (Brad and Karen) over for dinner and games. We had a great time and it is so nice to have a young pastor that we can talk to more on a peer level and he is also a great preacher to cap it all off.

It is very different out here not being in an area where most of the people I know are Christians. Growing up with Christian friends and family is very different from the friends I have now. It is hard to create a desire in someone to accept Jesus when they do not even believe that there is a heaven or a life after death. Well I guess this is a bit more “deep” and “touchy feelly” than I am normally and am losing a lot of my dedicated readers by now so I should mix it up a bit.

I have been advised that I should not post as many details about where I live because I might become a target for burglars or other junk. I say bring it on. I have a 12 gauge that is always loaded and never far from me, but hidden at the same time. I if anyone were to come into my house they should be ready for a little “western hospitality” of the scatter gun kind.


Brenda and I having a good time as always

9 comments:

Laura E said...

BART...I'm thinking that's the Thunderbird? Yikes, the thought of "splitting lanes" on a freeway totally freaks me out. Was Brenda howling like a banchee? I would be.

Again, you guys scored some pretty sweet entertainment for free. Does the excitement ever stop for you two?

I guess I still feel a little sheltered from the non-Christian world. I just found out today that my favorite server lady at Culvers grew up Christian reformed out of Corsica and is Dutch. Just like everyone else around here. I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong!

Unknown said...

BART stands for Bay Area Rapid Transit(it is like the Ltrain in Chicago).

Laura E said...

OOOOH! I was wondering what all the talk about terminals and other stuff was. Ahoy. I feel enlightened.

Lyndsay said...

So I started a blog...I'll get you the address when I have some interesting things on it. It probably won't be as entertaning as yours, but I couldn't resist any more. I put your link on mine..I hope that's ok:)

Homeward Bound said...

Ahhh...Oakland - the Detroit of the West Coast! You guys should get tickets for the "Black Hole" next time. I'm sure it will be a lot more entertaining for you guys!

Check this out John - You don't have to wear anything on Bike out here! Hahaha No helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. It's freaking crazy! However, I guess its not legal to split lanes and drive like Californians either...but I still do! HA.

Didn't get a chance to post a message on the last blog but Happy Birthday and all that crap. Yeah, I agree with you and your dad about the stupidity of people. I was reading the other day in Outside Mag about the top 30 citied to live in and the avg. home in CA costs 733,000 and the avg. in CO costs 726,000! Crazy. I think it has to do with all those winter resort homes.

All your devoted readers!? That's me and Lyndsay and Laura! lol Maybe Brenda or your dad if they're feeling saucy! Oh well, I love it.

Bring it on, Lyndsay! Love to hear the stories of a housewife! (I'm fear for my life now)

P.S. - John, you should really check out Ed S. garage. I think you two would have similar views on gun control!

bje said...

If we ever come out to Cali to visit you and Brenda, I'll be sure we knock on the door before coming into your apartment. I'd be a little afraid of your version of "Western hospitality".

Anonymous said...

John I agree with your friends that are advising you not to reveal to much aobut where you live. There are alot of crazies out there. Don't be stupid boy!

Later

DAD

Anonymous said...

What can I say but John, John, John!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi John, just so you know, I also enjoy reading your stories. You have great writing skills! and of course the photos are awesome. I also appreciate that my wonderful grandson likes you! Deb VE