Sunday, May 6, 2007

This week



I am having a hard time coming up with a good way to start this entry out so I guess I will just begin. I am on a soccer team at work and we had a game this fri. It is always fun to play with people from work and this is the first job where the people that I am working with, actually hang out after work. Our game went well. I am the goalie and we won so everyone was happy. I only lost my cool once when the ball hit off of the top crossbar and then went straight down and stopped 6" in front of the goal line. The ref was not in the best position and called it a goal. This tied the game at 3-3 with 8 min left. I did not agree with the ref. and expressed my feeling through verbal and non-verbal forms of communication. I felt a bit better after we scored the 4th goal and got the win. (the ref. apologized for the call after the game and we shook hands)

After the soccer game there was a going away party for one of the girls that I work with. This was not the typical party that I think of when someone says company party. There of course was lots of food, but there was lots of booze as well. My bosses were there and they sure were having a good time. It was nice that Brenda could come along and I think that everyone liked her more than me (not uncommon). Near the end of the night and after a few forty's of Old English the host of the party was sliding down the stairs of his apartment on sleeping bags with the bosses kids. I cannot wait till the next party because we had a great time and I really like the people that I work with. I went sailing again on Saturday which seems the be a reoccurring theme in this blog. "The Worlds" festivities have begun, even though the racing does not officially start till tues. I am only going to be racing on Thursday and Friday, but am kind of thankful for that. I got very bruised and battered this weekend and it was good to take a lazy Sunday afternoon nap. We had practice races on sat. and did not do very good. I am not going to say where we finished, but lets just say it was nearer to the back of the pack and leave it at that. One race we did crash and had the boat as far on its side as I have ever seen it. All was good at the end of the race as you may be able to tell from the picture above. This is the foredeckman(John) looking for the beer.





5 comments:

Aubrey said...

Your office sounds eerily similar to mine. Last company party I was riding a stick horse through the billiards we were at, weaving in and out of the rows between pool tables.

Good times.

Laura E said...

Hey John,

Sounds like your soccer game was fun, although I don't think Ben would approve at your yelling at the ref...but since he was obviously wrong, I think Ben would agree with your yelling. And the party sounds great too. There's nothing like sliding down the stairs on sleeping bags! We don't have parties like that where I work...

Aubrey said...

Tee hee. NAh, Slings and Arrows isn't a caffe latte band.

I gave up my caffe latte bands. No more crap for ME! I'm bad music free since 1999.

(My boyfriend is the drummer in that band so I have to be a promo whore.)

bje said...

Hmmm?? Yelling at the ref! That's not acceptable! Just kidding. However, I am curious about this "non-verbal communication", just what exactly does this mean? Things that make you go "hmmm?".

The party sounds fun. I'm glad you really enjoy working with the people you do. That makes a big difference.

Anonymous said...

Johnny,

Like the blogging thing but it looks like it takes a lot of time to write out actual thoughts and post photos and stuff . . . I might give it a try though . . .I'm on everything else so what the heck!

VERY cool to hang with you and Brenda this weekend. Can't wait for Half Dome!

I'll definitely be checking in so keep up the touchy feely innermost thoughts comin in blog form! HA!

Rit